Jack Dempsey tankmates???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmny34

Aquarium Advice FINatic
If I were to get a tank for a Jack dempey cichlid what type of tankmates could I keep with it??? The tank will be either a 75 or 90 gallon!

Can pictus cats and a bristle nose pleco be kept with a jack?

Yes they can I have pictus cats right now and the jack never even bothers them.

It's a 55 gallon I have 1 jack Dempsey , 4 pictus cats, 1 Red tailed shark. The tank is overstocked a little bit but I have heavy filtration and large weekly water changes. If you could get a 75 I would do it a list of possible tankmates for you though there are more but here's a decent list.

Firemouth Cichlid
Convict cichlid
Red Tailed Shark
Rainbow Shark
Bristlenose or clown pleco
Pictus cats
Stripped Raphael catfish
Giant danios
Silver dollars
Blue Acara cichlid
Denison barbs
African Featherfin catfish

It would be next to impossible to give you good advice without knowing more about the tank. I have a combination of fish in my 125 that would be against the advice if many enthusiasts, but I have 200-250 pounds of rock in my tank and many caves, jacks can do really well with lots of fish if you have the right se up, if you prefer a more open tank, it will be harder to make combos of fish work out without untamable aggression. JDS are really cool fish I have had really good luck with them. Best of luck to you.

Here's what I'm thinking. I'm gonna get a 75 gallon tank. My stock will be:
1 jack Dempsey
1 red tail shark
1 bn pleco
5 Denison barbs

I had two jacks with silver dollars and a pleco.. Silver dollars are my goto fish.. I love them , and they are super cool to watch.. You would need a 90 gal they get pretty hefty..

In my 75 gallon I have 2 fire mouths and 1 salvini and a pleco in with my jack. I also broke the rule of mixing old an new world and I have 4 adult peacocks all are doing fine.

Here's what I'm thinking. I'm gonna get a 75 gallon tank. My stock will be:
1 jack Dempsey
1 red tail shark
1 bn pleco
5 Denison barbs

That should be fine. I really have no expierence with the denison barbs but they might get picked off depending on the aggression level of your Jack

That should work the denisons should be ok. I would reccomend adding all your other fish 2 weeks before adding the Jack and get a small one so they grow up together you should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom