Just checking in, BN pleco with red spot behind head?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

7Enigma

Aquarium Advice Addict
I don't think this fits into the unhealthy fish section, I just have a quick question.

Last night I had to do the cats litter at around midnight, and turned the light on in the room with the tank. My BN pleco was on my ceramic pot so I went in for a close look. Wanted to get a pic but he moved after I did the litter. Anyways behind the eyes there was a dime-sized reddish spot. It looked like a natural coloration, but I've never seen this during the day when he's made a showing. I'm just wondering if this is a way to communicate, or whether there is something I should be watching out for. I feed him/her algae wafers, vegetables, and I'm sure some leftovers from the other fish also find a way to get eaten. The BN also eats a healthy amount of algae which unfortunately is in my tank to a higher degree than I would like. I do NOT have driftwood in my tank at this time. It is planned in the future (I'm going hunting for some this weekend at my parent's house).

Please share stories if you've seen this before. thanks.

Well that's good to hear. Anyone know WHY it happens? I just want to make sure something I'm doing isn't right. It's heavily planted so I'm dosing ferts all the time, large PWC's each week, and the driftwood thing has me a bit worried since I've read conflicting reports on whether pleco's NEED the wood or if they just like it.

Is it an albino BN? The males often have a red blotch on top o' the head. As to driftwood, some plecos actually eat primarily driftwood and require it or they will starve to death. Some (including BN) seem to spend a great deal of time sucking on it, but I am unsure whether it's required. I would always keep some driftwood in a tank w/BN.

Yeah, here's my albino BN:
plecoveins.jpg

It looks like veins, makes him look angry!

If it's an albino, your worries are over, all of mine have that spot as plecoperson describes. I also agree with keeping driftwood. I have heard tons about it being a requirement but I have a fake piece of wood in one of my tanks with an ABN (couple of years) and no ill effects from the lack thereof.

I think with some plecs, like BNs, the driftwood is just for them to rasp on rather than for dietary needs. I've always wondered if it aids digestion in some way though, like cats eating grass now and then o_O !
Btw majolo, that's a great picture and you're right, it makes him look like he's stressing so much he's popping a vein in his head! It's cute in a kind of scary way!

That's the problem, I keep reading conflicting info even on the same species! AFAIK, they do like to rasp on it, but I doubt its a requirement. I will be getting some soon, but plan to do a lengthy soak prior to addition to the tank.

It is not an albino, its somewhat brownish in color but definitely has a pattern to it. But it seems to be in the same spot as that picture shows.

I'll see if I can get a shot of him in the next day or so and post. I swore I already had taken a picture but can't find it on a quick search....

Back
Top Bottom