Just got some Otto's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I was at Petsmart today and i found some Otto's.. i was reading how hard they are to find so i figured i might as well get a couple. Anyway, i don't know anything about these guys except they eat veggies. I already have a Common Pleco and a Clown Pleco.. im i overkill on the algae eaters? LOL . I regularly feed them veggies, including shelled peas, squash, zucchini, cucumbers.. etc. Anything else i need to know about these guys?

I certainly don't think its overkill...JMO. There's not much else to know about them except they are happier in groups of 4-6, but I have two and they like each other.

The following is from otocinclus.com for all of our information.

The main food of Otocinclus is algae. They will eat the soft green algae that grows on the surfaces of the tank and its contents. This surfaces include the inside of the tank walls, gravel, decorations, and plants. This soft algae isn't to be confused with green spot algae that you can barely get off with a razor blade. It's obvious that the rasping power of the otocinclus mouth isn't strong enough to remove that type of algae.

They also eat brown diatom algae, which is common in newly setup aquariums. Some have reported that they will really go to town on this algae and rid a tank of it in days.

greenmagi said:
Ive also heard they need very good water quality to survive well..

I've heard that should be the goal of every aquarist .. Just kidding .. My tank is getting some diatoms and suppose few otos will be swimming and munching on these pretty soon. I prepared the "water quality" ... :wink:

so is supplementing with algae wafers, shrimp pellets and veggies enough? Thats what i usually put in for the Plecos and the Corys.

doesn't every fish? LOL :D My water quality is better than good right now ... i would actually say its excellent since ive been gravel vaccumiing and changing 50-80 % of the water every other day (thanks to the driftwood staining my water orange.) Its starting to clear up now though. My pH is finally stabilized, and im ICH free! (although i still have the temp up as a precaution)

I have an excellent view of my tank from my computer and i was just watcing my ottos exploring their new world.. they seem to love it, and i remeber reading that they will try to suck on other fish, well one of them tried to suck on an angel fish and the angel didn't like it very much, he chased him away... but didn't hurt him, it was actually comical to watch.

One more question, how big do these guys get? I know they stay small, but whats the max size?

greenmagi said:

You guys are really hassling me on this one arent you..LOL.. water quality is important but better water quality than what most of the fish that most keep is the difference.. in other words if your having trouble with keeping any of your fish from getting sick with your current water quality I would suggest better upkeep for otto's ie. more pwc's and/or better filtration...
And I dont think your going to have trouble with feeding them, you supplement with veggies well.. thats why I didnt give any advise on it in the first place.. (y)

I've been searching the net for information on Oto and what's interesting I came accross seemingly the same fish, but under different name:

- Otocinclus affinis
- Otocinclus vittatus

Are we talking the same fish or not? If not, what is the difference. I failed to find out.

I think we're talking about Otocinclus affinis. Its more commonly imported than other Otocinclus varieties.

Back
Top Bottom