Keeping python free of mildew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Radioheadx14

Aquarium Advice Regular
how do you keep mildew from not growing in your python? i have one too and i have a bunch of little black specks in the hose

Since you have a python you definitely want to keep the tubing clean. Those of us with simple gravel vacs that never use the tubing to go INTO the tank but rather just into a bucket can pretty much ignore the cleaning.

I would recommend using a bottle of hydrogen peroxide and pretending the bottle is your tank (to suck it through the tubing). If you can stop it in the tubing thats great, but even a quick shot through the tubing should help to sterilize it (even if it doesn't remove the specs it will kill them be it mold/bacteria/fungus/algae/etc.). Let it sit a minute or two. Then just rinse it out with tap water.

Bleach is another option but for obvious reasons I don't get that near established tanks with any equipment unless I clean it really well afterwards (just an extra hassle). Peroxide loses its effectiveness much more rapidly and is less of a problem on the off chance a small amount got into your tank.

HTH

There was a thread on this recently. What I and many other members do with their pythons is simply run the water on drain when the tubing is out of the water, thus sucking the water out of the line and no mildew arises.

I don't use any cleaners either but do it the way Zagz described. I do weekly PWCs and have not had a problem, even when there are tiny water specs on the plastic inside.

Back
Top Bottom