killer snails or ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plkdb

Aquarium Advice Activist
OK, I have a 55 gallon tank, that I set up about two months ago. I purchased about 6 guppies, and of those 6, 1 survived. I was deployed, my wife was taking care of the tank, so no idea on symptoms. I purchased several bunches of plants, at that time as well. I have since purchased another 12 guppies, and two dwarf gourami, and a pleco. The fish will all seem fine, then slowly one by one, or two they die off. I`m down to about half. When I put the plants in I also ended up introducing a population of snails. There is quite the concentration now two months later. So my question is, what is killing off the fish? They will seem fine, and then they will show signs of distress, (breathing differently, lying on the bottom, bellies caved in). Is it possible/likely that they are eating the snails, and they are getting caught in their digestive systems causing the deaths, or do I need to be looking for something else?

wait just the guppies died, or all the fish?

this may be stuipd, but i'll ask nonetheless, did you use dechlorinator, and is the tank cycled?

i dont know much about dwarf gouramis, but i do have 3 moonlight, and 4 kissing gouramis, who are very hardy. and plecos, given the right home, are very hardy.

and you think fish eat the snails? then get sick... i doubt it, but dont get mad if you see a snail eatting a dead fish, snails are not hunters.

but weird bellies on the dead fish? how much, how often, and what do you feed them? could be not enough food, unless your dumping whole cans of food in

guppies arent the most hardy fish either though.

I dont use a dechlorinator, they dont use chlorine in our water over here. And the tank cycled. Its just weird that only one or two at a time are showing problems. Its not all the fish. I feed them once a day, I give them a few pinches of flakes, and I`ll drop in a few pellets for the pleco.

plkdb...

It is very unlikely that the snails are causing the problem of fish die-off. There are a number of possibilities...the primary one being that your tank may not be completely 'cycled' after only two months (that is....a healthy population of beneficial bacteria that are responsible for converting toxic ammonia and nitrites from fish waste and other decomposing organic material into less dangerous nitrates...is not yet established in your aquarium). You mention that the tank is cycled but on what basis are you making this statement? If you've tested the water you should find ammonia and nitrite levels to be about zero and your nitrate levels to be in the neighborhood of 20ppm.

It is also quite possible that the fish you've purchased were already sick. The hollow belly you're describing could be a symptom of fish tuberculosis (caused by the bacterium Mycobacterium marinum). If this is the case then your best bet is to empty the tank, clean everything with a 10% bleach solution, rinse thoroughly and start over. Successful treatment for fish tuberculosis is 'iffy' at best. Oh...it is also important to note that Mycobacterium marinum can cause a nasty syndrome in humans as well, though it isn't common. You might consider reading the article in the link below as well as the reply at the bottom of the article.

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/management/Keefer_FishTB.html

-Joe

With all do respect sir you live in Florida and to the best of my knowledge all water supplies intended for public distribution and consumption must be treated with chlorine to kill potentially harmful bacteria. This rule is typical in North America -not just Canada.

I could be way off base I suppose. However, I am a power engineer by trade and as such have studied municipal (Canadian) public water distribution. According to what I have learned water intended for public distribution/use absolutely must be treated with chlorine unless maybe it is coming from some sort of a well. In which case I would be interested in knowing what bacteria is present in the water along with it's turbidity.

Sorry to come off so opinionated, but this is in my line of work and I find it hard to believe some areas are using non-treated water.

I forgot to mention that in any event, I would still use the dechlorinator as a precautionary step. Also, if you call your local 'public works' department they are legally obligated to tell you what is in the water being supplied to your residence.

Joe

i think aquajoe is dead on, (except for mexican water) unless you get your water from an underground well that goes right to your house, you have chlorinated water, and its not just chlorine, theres flouride in there too...

dechlor takes away harmful chemicals, as well as put a stress coat on the fish (in most declhlor anyways)

The sunken belly was only one fish, and I no longer live in Florida, I currently am stationed in England. THe fish appear to be from a very nice petshop. All of the fish appeared to be in good health, active, bright, swimming normally, etc. Its just odd, that it isnt all at once, that its such a random and slow death.

just curious, you have a big 55 gal tank, and you put a few guppies in it? how does that work?

Back
Top Bottom