Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-28-2005, 02:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to wright4lfe Send a message via Yahoo to wright4lfe
Largest single keepable in a 50gl bowfront?

been using a 50gl bowfront as a grow out tank for my 240gl for awhile now. well, i've got everything i want in my 240 now and plan on either selling the 50gl or keeping one or two nice looking freshwater/bracksih water fish in it.

i'd like to keep nothing more than 1 or 2 large fish in the tank. maybe some type of puffer or something. if i can't figure out something to put in it i'm probably going to sell it in the next month or so or try my hand at saltwater fish and convert it to a saltwater/reef tank.

Old 08-28-2005, 05:24 PM   #2

id love to try saltwater.. its just so expensive but i would say if you have the funds then go for it. But theres just so much you could do with a 50 gallon, just becuase its small (to you) don't get rid of it! because as soon as you do i guarentee you will regret it... you can do so much with a 50 gallon.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to iains
plant it man, having a fully plated 50 gal would look sweet!
Old 08-28-2005, 09:06 PM   #4
RoK
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to RoK Send a message via MSN to RoK
Maybe you could get some type of large cichlid?
Current fish (includes all 3 running tanks): Polypterids, severums (of which I raised from eggs), gouramis, plecos (gold spot ones & a gurupa), loaches (zebras, yoyos, & a kubotai), macculocchi spotted silver dollars, an African butterfly fish, & Ctenopomas (a leopard & an ansorgii)
RoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 09:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

How about a pair of Discus? Or as Rok suggested, some larger SA or African Cichlids?

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 09:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

2 angels (max out at 6-8 inches each)
2 fancy goldfish (8-12 inches each)
pair of discus (8 inches each)
a Birchir, here are some available kinds:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/s...fm?pCatId=2241
Green Texas cichlid - Herichthys carpinte
Red Devil - Amphilophus labiatus
Jack Dempsey

hehe, the list will go on and on I vote you keep the tank and go with the birchir!
Old 08-28-2005, 10:51 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to megladonsharky Send a message via MSN to megladonsharky Send a message via Yahoo to megladonsharky
Jack Dempsey

Ocscar???

figure eight puffer ( 2>?)

3-4 gallon with 80gph ... Planted lightly three white clouds ( Birtha Clara and Delila) and some snails (mainly melodys snacks)

9 gallon with 130gph , heated with male betta (Trafalger RIP)Kaden ( a male betta)has moved in, pygmy cory (MaMa) , pitbull pleco(Metal), three preacox rainbows( Annabel, Glitter and Mondo) and various snails...
megladonsharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 10:51 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Or get 1 or 2 green spotted puffers, They get up to 6". Most of the time at the LFS they are found in FW. But they will eventually need full marine conditions as adults. I have 1 in my 50 gallon and the water is sitting at 1.015. Within a couple more months it will be at 1.020 and then I will add some LR and possibly a clown perc. To me it seems like an easier way to get into SW. Puffers would not be good if you want a reef setup but for FO or FOWLR they are fine
penpitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 10:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

How about a bluegill and a few guppies as feeders of opportunity? Easy to get (if legal in your area you just catch 'em), nice colors.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:49 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

in my big tank i have big cichlids (3 oscars, jack dempsey, green terror, 2 green severums and a red dragon flowerhorn) so i'm not really interested in cichlids anymore...lol

as far as figure 8 puffers and green spot puffers are concerned, what am i looking at care wise? i noticed some of you have said they eventually need to go SW, which is fine with me. but what kind of time frame am i looking at?

also, what will they max out at sizewise?

thanks for all the input.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:37 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Hrafnkel Send a message via MSN to Hrafnkel Send a message via Yahoo to Hrafnkel
Several years. I know that figure-8s can live to be 18 or so, sometimes.
29gal: 1 Green Severum, 1 Convict, 3 Bronze Cories
55gal: 5 Bloodfin Tetras, 6 Black Skirt Tetras, 1 Blood Parrot, 1 African Brown Knife, 1 Striped Raphael, 1 Ropefish, 2 Clown Loaches, 1 Yoyo Loach, 1 Angelfish
Hrafnkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 10:09 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Puffers require a little more in terms of care and maintenance, in that you need live and frozen food for them and you have to sometimes trim their teeth, which will overgrow in captivity and make them unable to eat. Otherwise I think they make great pets due to their relatively long lives and the fact that they will come up and greet you, similar to the way larger cichlids behave.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 01:47 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Figure 8's need low-end brackish water to survive. A SG of 1.008 is hat they seem to thrive in best. They get to be about 3". The green spotted puffers do best in a high-end brackish setup with a SG around 1.020. Since both puffers are usually found in FW at the dealer you slowly acclimate them to brackish water. You can do the change over the course of 8+ months for the GSP. You just don't want to raise the SG more then .002/week otherwise you run the risk of killing off the biofilter.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:49 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Here is a link to a puffer site.

Green spotted puffer is tetraodon nigroviridis and the F8 is t. biocellatus.

http://www.pufferlist.com/
Old 08-30-2005, 12:28 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

thanks. this is all great info. i think i am definately going to look into the puffers. i just want a one or two big fish and think puffers will lok unique enough to do the job.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:51 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Our member Pufferpunk is a wonderful resource for all things puffer, and she can assist you with your new setup. I think this tank will make a wonderful puffer display.

TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bowfront

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com