LFS new arrivals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pwrflpills

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, last Thursday my LFS finally got some of the coveted German Blue Rams that I've been waiting for. They also said they are "small".

What is anyone's opinion as to the "rule of thumb" for how long you should wait after a store receives fish, especially a fragile one like this, before you buy? If they have ich or anything, I'd like it be the store's problem, obviously.

I want to wait as long as I have to, but I've been waiting for them to come in for a long time and I don't want them to get sold out.

Also, not sure if it matters, but I'm going out of town on Friday afternoon until Sunday night. I could have someone come feed them if necessary and I figured a couple days without light might help them adjust to the new tank. Again, I don't want to miss out and wait till next week to act if I don't have to. :mrgreen:

If anything is going to break out in a new batch of fish at a LFS, it'll happen within the first week they get them, but the fish should be eating and colored up within 48 hours after being acclimated to their tanks.

When ever you need to go out of town, don't worry about the fish unless you plan on being gone for over a week. They can do just fine without food for a few days. As of lights, it is ok for them to go without, but you can put the lights on a timer and continue similating day and night cycles.

BTW...mondo grass is aquatic, just bog type :) It's semi aquatic.

What is their opinion of "small"? I have always seen the GBR's being sold when they are about 1-1.5 inches. Just an FYI.

-brent

"Small"' probably means 1-2 inches. Just make sure you get the most hardy looking ones. I usually try to look for ones already defending their territiory.

Ace, you're right about size and thanks for the advice. GOING TO PICK THEM UP RIGHT NOW! (I'm pretty excited)

Update: Got 2 little guys and they seem very healthy. The male's color is awesome and they immediately snacked on a sinking shrimp pellet before "bed". The female is a little smaller, and has a big tummy...must have eggs.

I'll be back if I have any questions!

Back
Top Bottom