Limiting Suction on a Power Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wmc2009

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am trying to keep my baby shrimp from being sucked into my power filter. I have tried the panty hose method but its just not working like I want it to. I know you can use sponge to limit the suction power but I have no idea what type or where to get any?? Any ideas??

I'm not asking advice on my filter choice just need some suggestions from anyone out there that has done the sponge trick or knows some other remedy.

i use the sponge from the aqua clear 70 filters, cut a square out of it that is about 1 inch taller then the holes on the filter intake, and how wide you want it is up to you. once it is cut just cut an X in the top of sponge so that the filter intake tube will be able to slide right in :)

if you cant find that type of sponge (they sell them at petsmart) then really any decently sized square or rectangle filter sponge will work

ill post some pictures to give you an idea here in a sec

this is what i do, i have it on all my filters and i usually see my shrimp on the sponge eating whatever gets collected

Attachments

• IMAG0229.jpg
    IMAG0229.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMAG0230.jpg
    IMAG0230.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMAG0232.jpg
    IMAG0232.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 49
  • IMAG0176.jpg
    IMAG0176.jpg