lonely gourami?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timxsi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i brought a new golden gourami home 3 days ago. it seems to spend all its time hiding and i never see it! after asking the pet shop owner, he advised me that these fish are ok alone but 'm sure hes lonely. Is this the csse or is he just shy?

sometimes it takes gouramis a week or more to adjust. What size tank is this? What are the other inhabitants? Is he eating? Make sure you have planted and floating plants (real or fake) as gouramis like those.

its a 13 gallon tank with 5 tetras, 1 pleco and 3 frogs

He will likely adjust in time. If you do get another, make sure that it is the same size as the first one. They do get territorial and the larger one will constantly chase the smaller one. Even if they're the same size, you should provide as many hiding places as is practical because one will always dominate the other.

Gouramis like to hang out in the upper level of a tank, but if there is no cover there they might feel uncomfortable. I like to have a real or fake plant that reaches all the way to the surface for gouramis - they like to hang out in it and it gives them something to anchor their bubble nests to.

Back
Top Bottom