Looking for info on eel like fish(loaches,bichir???)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yankeeslover

Aquarium Advice Activist
Thanks for reading...75 gallon tank...currently i have 2 kribs, 1 rainbow shark, 16 Rasboras and 15 Tigerbarbs. I have a AC 70 and AC 110 filter with sand substrate.. I believe i have room for a couple more fish and i have always been real intrigued by these eel like fishes.. I just never had room in my 29 gallon tank...my local petsmart sells both Peacock Eels and Dinosaur Bichirs... I believe i can travel alittle further also and find some Dojo Loaches(about 1 hr further). Am I ok to assume that the Bichir will outgrow the 75 gallon tank and will knock off all of my rasboras? if so, how does the peacock eels compare? are they better with my setup?

Depends on the bichir species, but as a general rule they do require more than 75 gallons. I believe there are a couple of the smaller ones that may fit in that size tank though. Peacock's are fine in a 75g if I remember right, they get large but are fairly sedentary.

The larger issue is tank mates... The rasboras would definitely be food for a full grown bichir or eel, and the barbs would possibly be next. I think the Kribs are just barely big enough to be safe, but I can't say for sure.

The next issue I see is that an eel or bichir would tend to overload the bottom level of your tank. The Kribs and shark are usually all territorial fish that claim a large section of the bottom level of the tank. They probably wouldn't appreciate sharing the bottom with an 18" long fish.

Maybe im just better off standing pat then

maybe add some to the barbs and rasboras...seems all levels are taking care of... Rasborars-top, Barbs-all over place and the rest occupy the bottom... outside of corys are there any nice catfish that i can get??? i dont want to do corys because of the 6 or more school...are there any solitory catfish that dont have to be in a group that would fit in my tank?

There are, but in my experience all the solitary catfish tend to be very shy... Most of them will only be out where you can see them once a month if you're lucky. A top level centerpiece fish might be a better choice. Normally I'd suggest an angel or gourami, but both of those may be targets for fin nips from the barbs.... With that large of a school you may be fine though. Tiger barbs usually keep the nipping to themselves when in schools 10+.

i want a good bottom feeder... for example, fed my fish frozen blood worms today...my rainbow shark didnt touch them.. the rasboras and barbs at a few and my kribs ate some...took me ten minutes trying to scoop the rest off the sand.... and im sure i missed a bunch thats gonna now sit and rot.... how are dojo loaches? they good bottom feeders? my shark is an awful bottom feeder.... i dont mind corys but i hate to add six of them.

If you're looking for something to help clean up the bottom, I'd go for shrimp and/or snails. They're far more effective, and you see them out and about more often. If you really want a fish instead, the main solitary catfish I know of are raphael catfish (might eat your rasboras) or plecos (generally poop more than they clean). You can keep upside down cats, whiptail cats, or otos solitary, but they're generally not as happy as when they have a small group (3+).

Are the kribs a male and female pair? If so, I would not add any bottom dwellers and just feed less bloodworms to your fish. Kribs are highly prolific breeders and once they spawn any fish that inhabit the bottom region of the tank will likely die or have the day lights pounded out of them.

Are the kribs a male and female pair? If so, I would not add any bottom dwellers and just feed less bloodworms to your fish. Kribs are highly prolific breeders and once they spawn any fish that inhabit the bottom region of the tank will likely die or have the day lights pounded out of them.

Depends on the pair and how the bottom is decorated. Given enough hidey holes to hide their brood in they can co-exist with other bottom feeders. I have a breeding pair in my 75g along with 12 Dwarf Chain Loaches and a RTBS and haven't lost anyone over the course of their 5 (and counting) broods.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421149358.746094.jpg

I LOVE my Dojo Loach. He is always greeting me when I come in my room, I sometimes hand feed him from my finger. He eats..A TON, much more than my other fish. He does not nip at all on my long finned tetras.

Big thing: he can get around 8-10 inches long. Mine is only 5 so far.
Another big thing: loaches generally don't have scales, spikes in the water can hurt a loach before it does a scaly fish.

Only problem I have run into was I tried putting 2 Cory cats in the community tank with him. He bullied them for food and 1 died of stress.

Other than that he is a VERY active fish, very nice, and is definitely the first one you will see exploring your tank when you walk in. Mine never hides, only slows down to rest then goes back to swimming around the tank.

I feed him flakes, few bloodworms, algae wafers, and rarely some tubifex.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

And he eats any leftover food the fish don't so I have minimal waste after feeding.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom