Looking into stocking the tank now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donttaptheglass

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been reading around and looking into the different types of fish to put in the tank (55 Gal). I want to be studied and prepared before I go buying fish so I don't end up with a tank full of fish that all want to beat the crap out of each other and having to use 9 kinds of food.

I'll tell you what we have been looking at and you all can tell us what will get along.

I kind of want color and variety in there, though I know asking for colorful fish from the freshwater arena is asking a bit much. My wife is dead set on having some Angel Fish in there, I don't think I even get to argue with her on that one (but do I ever really get to argue with her?). She also REALLY wants some Bala Sharks. LPS says it can be done without much issue, but I'll leave it to the experienced words from this forum to let me know on that one.

I've also been told that a lone male Betta would be fine in there as well, but I've also gotten some questionable looks when I suggested it.

For me, I'd like to see something unusual in there, perhaps something eel-like, or I was looking at the Needle Fish the other day and they look pretty cool. Also like the Tiger Barbs and this really cool BRIGHT red one called an Odessa Barb. Some of the Gouramis can be quite colorful too and I wondered how all these (seems I've run amok in the semi-agressive category) might get along.

I'd appreciate any help, suggestions, experiences, etc. you folks might have.

Oh, just read the sticky above . . .gotta put this . . .

1. Tank size - 55 Gal
2. Current filtration - Undergravel and HOB
3. Type of substrate - White gravel
4. pH of your water - 7.8 at last test (yesterday - hoping it comes down at bit at the end of the cycle)
5. What type of fish you like the most - covered that above

Angels will be fine. The balas will get too big eventually. Tiger barbs and angels do not mix well, they are fin nippers and will beat the angels up. Gouramis will work, as well as tetras and cories and smaller types of plecos.

If you can find them at a reasonable price, I would recommend roseline sharks. They are fairly hardy, have a look somewhat similar to the bala shark, and are just neat looking fish. Drawback: potentially expensive, and hard to find. Here are a couple of pics:
img_574546_0_82c9e05f94cee5fd5f73d2e692dc7d3a.jpg

img_574546_1_6b4c3f9940c7b15ebebd6d490dfaef0c.jpg

The top one is not my tank. The bottom one is. I can't wait to have a school of these beauties.
Another nice thing about them is the fact that they aren't shy. While the gouramis are off hiding behind the plants, my roseline swims back and forth across the front of the tank all day.

I second the roseline sharks if you can find them or order them at the lfs for a decent price. But they are a bit more pricey, so you need to look around for better prices.

Balas go good with the angels, but the only drawback, they do get big, and may end up getting a bigger tank later. If that's not an issue, and are willing to upgrade later, then go for them. If not a bala shark and want a cool semi-aggressive shark, check the rainbow shark. But if you decide on it, just get 1.

Tiger barbs are fin nippers, so if you did decide on that with angels, better watch closely and be prepared to make quick decisions. Might not be what you are looking for.

Gouramis are a good choice, and even some of the dwarf gouramis.

Once your tank settles in, and is cycled and stable, another cool fish are the Rams, like the German Blue Rams and Bolivian Rams. They have a lot of color, and a lot of character. Very cool fish, IMO.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Very cool idea, the Rams . . . just looked them up, and you're right, they are very colorful! Tell me about your Fire Eels? I see you have them in your 55 Gal. tank, but I'm curious about the size that it says these things can get. They look really neat and sound like a cool addition without too many problems (I'll just have to get them something to hide in since I have a course gravel in my tank)

Fire eels are awsome, IMO. They were under 4 inches when I got them, and now, a year later, they are 9 1/2" and 11 1/2", and still growing. And yes, I have plans for a much larger tank in the near future, less than a year. They can get very large. But they are awsome. Their names are Flash and Flame. They pretty much stay in the caves when the lights are on, but when you turn the lights off and leave the room lights on, they come out. They will also feed from your fingers as well. And if you move your finger around on the glass, they will follow. Pretty cool. They are my pride and joy.

I feed them frozen bloodworns, and do mix frozen brine shrimp and soaked freeze-dried plankton as well, to give some variety. They won't touch the shrimp or plankton alone, but do take it in when they take in the bloodworms.

Check on some of the other eels, there are a few that will work nicely in a 55G and only get to about 12 inches. I just had to get the bigger of the bunch, lol.

And the containers gives them more room than an expensive store-bought cave. And you can make the entry any size you want. I tried making mine so only 1 eel per tank will go in. But somehow they both wedge themselves in the entry of the stone cave, lol. Probably like it better because it's darker inside. :)

Back
Top Bottom