Lost shrimp in betta tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pleco1415

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently bought 2 Amano shrimp for my 3 gallon betta tank. After I put them in the tank I watched them for a bit then left the room. When I came back to see them they weren't there. The betta could not have eaten them because they were too big. I have no idea were they are if anyone one else has had this problem please tell me.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390685193.890534.jpg

I found I shrimp hiding under a moss ball but the were a outs of the other one are unknown.

They can easily crawl out. If there is any cords, tubing, anything that goes out of the top of the tank they can escape. I have found them 30 feet from my tank covered in dog hair. I actually found one still alive, got him back in the tank but he didnt last long.

Oh crap I just looked at my tank again and the other one is gone. i once had a flower shrimp that got out of my 29 gallon and I found it down stairs still alive. There probably dead now so I should go looking for them before they start stinking up the room. At least the moss balls I bought didn't crawl out.

They can easily crawl out. If there is any cords, tubing, anything that goes out of the top of the tank they can escape. I have found them 30 feet from my tank covered in dog hair. I actually found one still alive, got him back in the tank but he didnt last long.

What do you think I should do?

A tight cover. Its tough because they can get out in any tiny hole. Curiosity killed the shrimp.

I cleaned out my room and found nothing. I found both of them in the hallway coming out of my room. They were dead so I fed them to my turtle. My turtle had a 6 dollar meal.

Have you checked the filter?

There was no way they could have been in the filter they were too big. I found both of them dead in the hallway coming out of my room. They crawled out of the tank on a cord and made there way out of the room. I guess I learned my lesson never to buy shrimp again. Do you no of any other small algae water I can buy for the betta tank. I breed apple snails but those are way to big for the tank.

I had a ghost shrimp that was the same size as my betta. Little Zim killed it as soon as i left the room. I came back in the room 10 mins later and he is eating the legs off the shrimp -_-

There was no way they could have been in the filter they were too big. I found both of them dead in the hallway coming out of my room. They crawled out of the tank on a cord and made there way out of the room. I guess I learned my lesson never to buy shrimp again. Do you no of any other small algae water I can buy for the betta tank. I breed apple snails but those are way to big for the tank.

what about a nerite snail? that is usually the go-to snail for smaller tanks

what about a nerite snail? that is usually the go-to snail for smaller tanks

I like nerite snails but my aquarium store doesn't sell them right now. I was thinking maybe a tiny pleco or something but I don't no of any plecos that stay small. In my 29 gallon I have a vampire pleco and it's huge!

I've seen these things called Chinese algae eaters. Do you know anything about them?

Nope. Way to big/active/bioload/agression for that small of a tank.

I just searched up Chinese algae eater and that's not the fish I was talking about. My aquarium store had these really tiny algae eaters in a planted tank and I thought they were called Chinese...

I just searched up Chinese algae eater and that's not the fish I was talking about. My aquarium store had these really tiny algae eaters in a planted tank and I thought they were called Chinese...

one of the smallest members of the pleco family is the otocinclus catfish, but it will more than likely starve to death in such a small tank

Back
Top Bottom