Major oops moment...pulling my hair out!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itsgracia

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well today I decided to change my gravel to sand. Did what you guys told me from a previous thread. Turned on my AC filter and grinding noise. First every so often and after an hour non stop. I tried taking it apart and cleaning the impeller and inside nothing. So I took my spare aquatech and put that on... While doing so spilled some water on to the power strip! I turned the power of and just try to dry everything that got wet. That is my only power strip so now I had to choose what I will plug overnight. I plugged the heater and the filter on the wall socket and will run to home depot tomorrow to get a new power strip and then to Petco for a replacement motor for my AC filter.

My poor fishes went through a lot today and so did I. Hopefully they make it through this because if they are as stressed as I am right now I don't know what will become of them.

On a positive note I love the sand bed. Was it worth the trouble definitely not. Where is the rewind button when you need it.

I did that before (spilling water on a power multiple outlet) and it not funny and can be even dangerous.

It is important that you mentioned here, so other people learn and take precautions, now when I do water changes I prefer to disconnect everything and put a plastic bag above the multi outlet just in case of an accident.

Post a picture of your " new" look of your tank, I'm sure that look great and better than before!!

Just to reiterate, a GFCI is a must on an aquarium. All of my tanks are hooked up to a GFCI plug or GFCI power strip.

Now, I mount my power strips to my stand. That keeps any water that may spill from geting on them.

What kind of sand did you use? I've kept sand in my tanks for going on 2 years now. I've NEVER had a filter go bad because of sand. I use PFS though. Are you certain the motor is bad? Have you taken the motor out and tapped it against a counter top or something? Brushed it out real good?

I was always thinking of mounting it but never got around to it. I'm definitely mounting it this time though.

As for the motor, it runs but it makes such a loud noise that I can hear it upstairs with the door close and the tv on. I tried taking it apart and cleaning it even got a cotton swab, turned it upside down and tapped it, it's really annoying! I think I'm gonna grab a small sponge and use it as a pre-filter for a little bit to avoid the sand getting into the new motor.

Well I got a new power strip with a timer and it is on the top of the ledge on the stand. Everything is working fine and I'm happy to report that there are no losses overnight. I will see how they do over the week v

Well here is the result of all my trouble.

Attachments

• image-1900137119.jpg
    image-1900137119.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 84
It looks great!!
I went through the same thing you did. I got sad in my AC. and I had an awful noise emitting from the filter I took it apart, soaked it in warm water and banged the crap out of it. Put it all back together and it worked :)

Sent from my iPhone

itsgracia said:
I was always thinking of mounting it but never got around to it. I'm definitely mounting it this time though.

As for the motor, it runs but it makes such a loud noise that I can hear it upstairs with the door close and the tv on. I tried taking it apart and cleaning it even got a cotton swab, turned it upside down and tapped it, it's really annoying! I think I'm gonna grab a small sponge and use it as a pre-filter for a little bit to avoid the sand getting into the new motor.

Did you pull the white part of the propeller and clean in there too? I also changed my gravel to rock/sand substrate today and until the sand settled a little it grinded twice. I pulled out the motor and took the pieces apart rinsed them and I dipped the motor into the water to clear out the debris. What kind of sand did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

I don't really know what kind of sand but it says marine sand and it's really fine sand. I love it just not worth all the trouble. I tried everything and nothing worked so I brought it back to Petco and they gave me a replacement motor.

I also got a timed power strip so I don't have to manually turn my lights on and off.
It's still cloudy but I put a home made pre-filter. I got those foam media and cut it and covered the intake at least until the water clears.

I love my timer I have one on one of my tanks and it's so nice not having to turn it on every morning and off every night. It's nice coming down and seeing the tanks lit up already : )

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Back
Top Bottom