Malaysian Trumpet Snails...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bluerose

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got one that hitch-hiked in with my plants. I haven't seen him for a while.

There are now two others on my plants and driftwood- one is still pretty small, the other is starting to resemble an MTS but is still bluish in color (the tip of the shell is turning brown).

I can't stir my substrate up too much because I have little plants that are having trouble staying put in it- so the MTS are great... I would like a couple more though! Can they be bought like apple snails or do they usually just hitch hike with plants?

Don't worry they will multiply quickly. You can buy them but you really don't need to. Before long you will have more than you ever thought possible.

I started with 5 MTS and now have hundreds of them 8 months after introduction to tank). I enjoy finding the tiny ones on my plants and glass. I had only had apple snails before, but these snails are a lot different because you can't see their eggs so when they multiply it is a surprise.

Keep an eye out for tiny snails!

I feed very little and between that and my highly efficient cories there is very little for the snailios to eat. I was under the impression that unless there was a significant food source they would not reproduce particularly quickly...

I have a few MTS and also have cories in the same tank. They haven't over populated the tank and seem to have a pretty steady population. They are livebearers so you won't have eggs so keeping the population under control has to be done either with food, taking them out manually or perhaps Anentome helena (assassin snails).

i started out with 1 and now have hundreds. i had cories too and i didnt overfeed either and still the population steadily increased. dont worry in a month or 2 you will be posting asking how to cut down the pop. lol with plants in the tank they will have something to eat. any algae and decaying plant matter will feed them plenty.

i started out with 1 and now have hundreds. i had cories too and i didnt overfeed either and still the population steadily increased. dont worry in a month or 2 you will be posting asking how to cut down the pop. lol with plants in the tank they will have something to eat. any algae and decaying plant matter will feed them plenty.

What is your secret I have had mine for over 2 years now and still don't have an overpopulation in any of my tanks. Even those that don't have algae eaters or cories in them.

The MTS really like those gel vacation feeders. I only use them when I have to, but have found that the snails just sit there and eat the entire time it is in the tank. That has got to help the population a little. I like my snails....I always have tiny snails to look for, they hang in the most crazy places sometimes, and they don't hide when you get right up next to the glass and look at them. Snails have always been interesting to me. I really don't think that I over feed. I only have one fish that eats flakes/dried worms so how can I over feed when I only feed enough for her to eat? I do admit to using the vacation feeders, but that is only when I am going to be gone for more than 4 days.

I remember seeing a Reality TV programme here in the UK, based in Malaysia, where they caught, cooked and ate MTS, these were big ones of course... :D

So, there's an idea to control your population... :lol:

I don't know why, but every time I read the title, my mind says "Malaysian Trumping Snails...", "trumping" being one of those British words for, erm, breaking wind... :lol:

Back
Top Bottom