Malaysian Trumpet Snails - A Poll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In sand Malaysian Trumpet or Needlepoint Snails are:

• A Nuisance

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Beneficial but maintenance needy

• beneficial

• Total voters

urville

Aquarium Advice Freak
in a sand tank are they beneficial, unwated, a pain, worthy?
just want to see what the majority thought is.

I think they're helpful for certain, but dang I sure wish they didn't reproduce so fast!! 8O

I have a tank full in my 55. It started with 10, and there are literally hundreds if not thousands now. I'm going to have to cull the population pretty quickly here...

a trick I heard for catching mts....since they are more carnivors, putting a piece of lettuce in the tank won't do the trick like it does on regular snails. However, find an aquaium-safe container and cut a small hole in the lid...on the inside put some flake food or algae wafers. In the morning, when your lights turn on, you should have some, if not a bunch in the container. I have never tried this, but I have heard of someone else who has.

this is my feeling too. it's all population.
if you have thousands, theres something for thousands to eat. overfeeding, or too large substrate or something. i have two and i cant seem to get them to make kids...
of course i feed once a day only as much as the fish eat in a couple of minutes. barely anything makes it too the bottom and what does is eaten by shrimp and the snails. in fact... my shrimp have taken to swimming up and floating upside down to eat like the fish from the surface i have some pics i should put them in my gallery.

Yeah, shrimps swimming upside down munching down the flakes is quite a scene to watch. I just keep laughing. Oh, this was a thread about MTS... Sorry :eek:

Back
Top Bottom