Male or Female Blue Ram

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
My girlfriend and I disagree on if one of my rams is male or female. I say male because he matches everything other then is spot being pure black. I have read many time that the black spot isnt always for sure. She says that its a female because its got the blue in its spots. However it has no black trim on its fins and has no pink on its belly. Oh and if it matters its a Long Fin

I have a 2nd one that is 100% a female and shes less colorful and acts completely different then the one in questions.

Heres a few pictures they arnt the best but should help

img_1598607_0_c81d941f458978f0c40c7d1ea44b1aa0.jpg

img_1598607_1_68232e0307656b3f22d7a40b74843d53.jpg

img_1598607_2_419243de662370a1e4b55176a4e51c87.jpg

It's hard to say since it's a longfin one, but the blue in the spot is what I've always used to determine sexes. The other way is by comparing it side by side with others (adult males are much larger), or just watching its behavior, since males tend to be more aggressive than females.

The extended dorsal spine in the third pic makes me think male. Or maybe it's just the low resolution.

Been going through this a lot lately trying to hunt down a female companion for my male with no luck. It looks like a juvenile male to me but the pics are a bit fuzzy. Until they age a bit and get their full color the black spot will be mostly blue. After a few posts back and forth with Cichlidlife (a member of this forum) I have learned to look for a lot of pink in the belly area and a shorter dorsal fin.

Oh so the black will come in more as they age? I hope so because their black is very dull and the pictures of them I see are very dark black. I know they arnt stressed.

Back
Top Bottom