male or female opaline gourami?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Itsxjen77

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! Would anyone know if this is a male or female gouramI? I think its a female, but I wanna be sure before I get a mate for it. Thank you in advance! :)

If you meant to post a picture it did not work. If you need help posting pictures, feel free to pm any staff member for assistance.

I want to say female. The females usually have a shorter rounded dorsal fin and a broader breast than the males. The male's fin is usually longer and ends in a point and the male's breast is slim like the rest of him.

I want to say its a female too, I just got confused cause when I do research, some pictures that look like mine are males, so I wasnt sure what was what. Thanks for your reply! :)

An update
So I got my gourami a mate. The fish store man said my opaline was a male and advise me to get a female. So I picked a gold gourami and this is her. (Or so I thought). When I put her in my tank, the blue was very curious and kept following her and it looked like love at first sight. About an hour later, he started picking at her tail and kept chasing her and wouldn't leave her alone the whole night. This morning when I went to check on them, her tail was ripped :(. Now I wonder if I really do have a male and female, or 2 males, or 1 very aggressive female and 1 passive female. I separated them and kept the gold one with my oranda goldfish. Surprisingly, they get along great. Can anyone tell me if I really did get a gold female? If so, why would the blue male go after a female like that? Im not sure what to do right now, I might just leave the gold in with my oranda since they are friends now...here are some pictures of her/him? Sorry if theres a lot, I tried to get as much details as possible. Thanks everyone! :)

G1.jpg

2013-02-27 10.43.47.jpg

G2.jpg

ForumRunner_20130227_103751.jpg

G8.jpg

G9.jpg

Attachments

• G6.jpg
    G6.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 75
He was fighting very aggressively with another gold male...his tails are ripped. :(

Back
Top Bottom