Mangrove Swamp+Sump? How does this work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Legacy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm working on building a mangrove swamp brackish tank that will only be about 3/4 full of water. The water will be about 4" from the top brim of the aquarium. I've been planning to build a sump filteration system but I don't understand how I will run the plumbing on the tank without cutting a hole. The tank is glass, and I'd really like to avoid cutting any holes if possible.

Also, How do I get the overflow to siphon water out from so low in the tank?

And finally, maybe the sump isn't the best method for filteration in a mangrove tank. Does anyone have any other suggestions for me instead? I'm pretty interested to get this thing started but I'm totally overwhelmed with information.

Thanks in Advance,
Dave

Cutting and plumbing is really the best way to go on this, although it is possible to run a sump without doing so...its just more work and head-ache.

Work and Head-ache is my middle name. I customize stuff for my car all the time so I figured this kind of stuff would be a cake walk. I just need to be pointed in the right direction.

Ok, did some research today and decided that I should probably get a hanging overflow siphon, I'm thinking CPR CS50...

Anyone else know of another hanging overflow that adjusts, or even how much I could adjust the water level? All I need is at least 4" from the top.

While looking into making the overflow for my own smaller tanks I found out it's pretty easy to make one with PVC. I think it's mainly a saltwater DIY type thing for some reason. I still haven't found where the guy got his flow rate info from, but figure with a 4" rise and fall on the overflow tube your going to want a decent sized tube to get a good flow rate.

Basically you just use a large diameter pvc pipe with a cap on it as the overflow 'box'. cut slots or holes down to the water level you want in your tank. Then put another pipe down the middle of it with slots cut in the end of it. Outside the tank after the U tube comes out, make a u turn back up and put a T connection in the line that's above the level of the holes in the pipe in the box, but below the level of your tank. You should end up with the T turned sideways so that the top of it is open to the air. The connection facing down goes to the tube in the tank. The connection to the side goes off to your sump.

Most likely not the best discription, hopefully it gets the concept across. What it comes down to is that you can make your own overflow cheaper than any of the premade ones I've seen for sale, and you can make it any size/flow rate you want just by getting bigger pipes, or runing multiple pipes into one overflow container. The best part for you, is you can make the pipes whatever length you want to set the depth wherever you want.

Work and headache huh.. well how about this?

something like this.. the outflow from the pipe matches the water line in the tank so you would move yours down..
overflow.jpg

depending on your wanted flow, if you would want more flow then bigger pluming would be nessisary.. HTH

flow would be restircted to the throughput of the smallest plumbing used (minius some flow for the elbow in the pipe.. realy more of a drop so Im not so sure that would be an issue.. :D

Of course there is black PVC and smoke colored tubing that could make this look nicer.. but to each his own.. :D Not to mention being able to hide this behind the tank.. :D

Toirtis said:
Cutting and plumbing is really the best way to go on this, although it is possible to run a sump without doing so...its just more work and head-ache.

by the way.. I completely agree with Toirtis on this one.. cutting and plubing is really the best way to do this..

there is always a chance that the tube would louse its syphon.. so.. a backup system (a airline tubing conecter (1/8th inch) installed at the top of the arch in the tube and a airline goint down to the venturi intake of a powerhead could restore syphon in such a emergency... but I would definately test it before going "live" with it..) and.. matching your return pumps flow somewhat closely can be an issue (if your return pump is alot slower then the potental flow of this tube you can louse syphon)... lousing syphon can cause a tank overflow and a dry running return pump.. both being bad situations..

great great info! I'm almost thinking about just using an emperor 280 HOB filter for a while to get things rolling and just start designing the perfect sump filteration system for a new, much larger, acryllic, pre-drilled tank. This tank is only 36x15x16 39gal. I would like to build up to a 180gal in about 1 years time.

Still thinking... thanks everyone!

Thats cool.. I just thought I would give you the other option that I knew of, just in case it looked like a good idea to you.. :p Good Luck! :D
btw. If you want to do this.. there are sorces online that can give you the throughput rate of pipes.. so once you deside on the amount of flow its not to tough to calculate what size pipe you need..

Back
Top Bottom