micron filter q?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

talenzmeier

Aquarium Advice Activist
Micron Filtration

I have a general question about using a micron filter. I have a Fluval 304 running in my planted tank and I know it's used for biological filtration, but do you think it's either a good idea or even necessary to use something like a Hot Magnum Power filter? I do use one on my marine tank, but I've not used one on either of my freshwater ones.

I don't quite understand your question. Are you asking if you should use a H.O.T Magnum instead of your Fluval? Also the H.O.T Magnum is a canister filter albeit a small one. As for the micron filter is works pretty well for water polishing, and you can set it up as a Diatom. Your Fluval probably provides better mechanical filtration then Biological. You probably do not need to use both a Canister and the H.O.T Canister, since they essentially provide the same mechanical filtration, unless your are trying to polish the water. Hope this helps.

I'd stick with the Fluval. None of the Magnum canisters have good biological capacity unless used with a bio wheel setup. Also, in a planted tank, you want to keep surface turbulence to a minimum. This helps keep C02 levels up where they need to be for plant growth. If you want to polish the water, I'd put some very fine mesh in the Fluval once in a while.

Water Polishing

Thank you for clarifying my question. I am wondering about what is the best method of polishing the water. In another post someone suggested using a fine mesh in my Fluval, I'm wondering if they could elaborate on that? Thanks.

One thing I have found that works pretty well, (others use it too) is cotton or polyester batting. Pillow stuffing is good as well just harder to work with. Depending on how dense you pack it, you can catch some pretty fine particles with it, then just toss it.

Back
Top Bottom