Microphis Deocata Indian Royal Green Pipefish came in today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikeaq

Aquarium Advice Activist
My Indian pipefish came in today! I'm really excited at a chance to keep them.

In preparation, I have baby brine freshly hatching and ready to go, I also have a daphnia culture, guppy fry, and ghost shrimp fry.

First I tried the baby brine, it seems a little small for them, like they almost don't even notice it.

Then I put in 3 guppy fry, they were interested for a little but then didn't really care any more, in guessing they're too big.

I noticed 2/4 of the pipefish going after the eggs in the pregnant ghost shrimp. Lol.

Finally I added in some daphnia & boom they were all looking around interested and swimming after it.

Then I realized, if the daphnia are too big I don't have to worry about them being eaten and they can freely live in the tank and reproduce. Providing baby daphnia for the pipefish to eat whenever they want and almost no work for me to feed them.

I would just have to feed the daphnia in the tank. The store I got the culture from said they feed their daphnia with shrimp pellets and sometimes green water.

Does anyone know if that's a good idea? There's one video on YouTube where the guys tank is flooded with daphnia and his Microphis Deocata are breeding.

http://youtu.be/_tfq5iNoAlA

It's probably the best way to keep them imo.

Anyone have first hand experience with these guys, if love your advice and opinion!

Thanks
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431028878.590399.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431028913.476884.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431029151.772119.jpg

That's awesome! Do you plan on trying to breed them also? Where did you find them? I'm looking for some to breed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's awesome! Do you plan on trying to breed them also? Where did you find them? I'm looking for some to breed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would love for them to breed with me!

I ordered them from Wet Spot in Oregon 117$ for 4 of them! Check with them, they might have more! They told me they get them in once or twice a year because it all depends on what kind of season it is in India. I was 5th on the waiting list, luckily a few people backed out.

Gillie,
The two smaller ones are eating daphnia and baby brine non stop, swimming all over. The females stomach is opened up, I think it might mean she's looking to transfer eggs.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431044242.444307.jpg

Of the two bigger ones, there is a male who keeps standing straight up and sticking his head through the frogbit, I've got the whole top covered in frogbit, I figured it would make them more comfortable. I'm assuming he's looking for bugs? He hasn't eaten baby brine, and isn't interested in week old guppy fry or daphnia. I don't know what to feed him!

Then the bigger female hasn't really been moving around a lot. Idk if they change colors when they're stressed, but she's black almost. The other 3 are green. I'm thinking it might even be a different species of pipefish. What do you think?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431044457.973410.jpg

I cant tell but the look Finntastic. How do you think they would do in a 55g planted with nano fish and shrimp?

I cant tell but the look Finntastic. How do you think they would do in a 55g planted with nano fish and shrimp?

They'll be fine with shrimp, they'll eat the baby shrimp but they won't bother the adults besides trying to pick the eggs off of any berried females.

Any fish that eats from the water Column or the surface will out compete the pipefish for food.

The only tank mates that work with them would be cories, shrimp, and certain species of Plecos because they won't eat all of the live food and leave the pipefish with nothing.

I've been giving them baby brine and daphnia magna babies. I just ordered a daphnia moina culture, hoping that it explodes like my magna culture did.

Also, another thing to factor in is their temp range. They prefer cool water, info online recommends a temp between 72-77, and says they don't do well long term in warmer temps. I have their tank sitting at 73.5-74.

Here is an updated photo of the one that was black. He's turned a dark green while the other 3 are yellowish green.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431731462.254609.jpg

This is the other male.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431731525.378581.jpg

This is one of the females, they have the striped sail that extends during their mating ritual.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431731569.501996.jpg

Here's a google image of the sail, I'm hoping I can witness it in person in the future!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431731646.458266.jpg

Back
Top Bottom