missing pleco : (

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leah_fishies

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys- I hope its ok to post here, I was wondering if anyone could help at all. ..I have a coldwater tank (5 goldfish, fantails etc). And I recently bought a little pleco (a real small one, say an inch long at the most), But I haven't seen him for over a week and half now. I've lifted up the two logs in there and looked all around but no sign, I went through a little of the sand with a small net but no sign, hasnt been on the walls/glass or plants and I've tried turning the lights off and searching/waiting- no sign either.

Would he be hiding under the sand at all, where I couldnt see him? ..or, could the fish have eaten him at all?? (there's no bones, and the waters perfectly clean). ..he also used to stay on the filter for the first couple of weeks and it just seems like all of a sudden he's dissappeared on me...or found a new place to rest.

Any ideas at all? I'd really appreciate any help at all. Thanks so much X X X

Welcome to AA! I second checking the filter. Depending on what kind of filter he may have gotten sucked up. If by chance he did perish, the goldies would have eaten the remains. Depending on the pleco, they are tropical and most plecos should not be kept in a coldwater tank.

aww no, I checked the filter a million times (especially because I knew he was on there a lot previously). Definitely not on or sucked in there : (

And nope, he was definitely a cold water pleco too. ..If the fish did eat him, I would have seen them wouldn't i? Its not a big tank, and I would have quessed the pleco would have been floating around first? ...Do you know how long/how quick they could have eaten him (if they did). (i.e, do you think they could have done it over night or something?)

Thanks soo much for helping with this, I'm soo confused about it all x x x

They could have ate him in a few hours or less depending on how big the goldfish are. I would give it time though. They are masters at hiding. I had one i would only get to see it once every 3-4 weeks. I never did figure out where it was hiding but i woke up one morning and there was just a head floating in the tank.

They could have ate him in a few hours or less depending on how big the goldfish are. I would give it time though. They are masters at hiding. I had one i would only get to see it once every 3-4 weeks. I never did figure out where it was hiding but i woke up one morning and there was just a head floating in the tank.
ewww! poor little fella

Have you checked your water parameters? If the pleco died, there would most likely be an ammonia spike. If the parameters are fine, then most likely he is hiding. Plecos are extremely good at hiding. You could try dropping a zucchini in to see if that lures him out. Boil a zucchini slice for a minute or two until it is softened. Cool, and then put in the tank. He shouldn't be able to resist a treat like that! You could use a veggie clip to hold it down. I used to thread a nylon fishing line through the zucchini with small fishing weights on the ends of the line. Remove the zucchini after about 20-24 hours so it doesn't foul the tank.

aww thats a great idea! yeah I'll definitely try that! Thank you <3

..yeah I've read that before about the ammonia, I did a water change a couple of days ago though (only 1/3rd of the water). Dont suppose it'd still show up would it?

Also, do you think he'd hide under just sand?? Where I couldnt see him? or under a couple of small stones (around 2x2inch). I thought they only laid on top/next to stones and sand. To get under the stones he'd have to dig under the sand.

And I'm real sorry to hear about your lil plec "retaks". Piranhas must be so tough to keep!

They are actually very easy to keep. They eat shrimp I get from the market so feeding is easy. I don't like feeding live food so they will live with other fishes peacefully.

Back
Top Bottom