Mixed species school? Is this normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonChild

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi again. Okay, I know I'm a newbie, so please beat me senseless if I get annoying, okay? Okay.

Now then, I had a school of 7 neon tetras. I added 3 mickey mouse platys, and for whatever reason, 2 of the platys died. Now, my last mickey mouse is actually schooling with the tetras. I know that it logically makes sense, but this is a new occurance to me.

Anyway, just figured I would ask if this was common, or if anyone else's fish did this.

BTW, my tetras are ALOT more active...heh, my heater was way off. I had it set to 78 degrees (since it is summer here, and we don't have AC), and the thermometer was reading off the chart. I dropped it down to 72 degrees, and the thermometer is still reading as 82 degrees. No wonder they weren't moving! I'm looking at getting a new heater ASAP.

Hello DragonChild. I've heard of this occurence before. Not with your particular fish though. I've seen neons and one lemon tetra schooling together and have also heard of instances of clown loaches schooling with tiger barbs. :mrgreen:

Yep. Some fish do this regularily. My glowlights and neons school together (Granted their only real difference just about is color and size), and I've seen my clown loachs school both with my green tiger barbs and my serpai tetras.

But then, clown loaches are just odd. There's nothing funnier than seeing 5 loaches trying to push their way into the middle of the tiger barb school and be a part of the group.

Back
Top Bottom