Mixing different species of tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Friendly

Aquarium Advice Freak
Right now I have 7 neon tetras in my 75gtank and I want to add another species of tetra (emperor, black phantom, rummy-nose, etc…). Would there be any fighting between the two different species or can they live together peacefully? Has anyone had any experience with having two different kinds of tetras in their tanks?

I have Pristella Tetras and Blackskirts and they get along just great...sometimes they even hang out together.

Many species of tetras will inter-school. All of the species you mention would be great tank mates. I'm partial to black neons and pristellas as well. :wink:

JodiMartin2003 said:
I have Pristella Tetras and Blackskirts and they get along just great...sometimes they even hang out together.

Thanks for the reply!

I was just a little worried that there might be some fin nipping or chasing between the two different kinds of tetras.

BrianNY said:
Many species of tetras will inter-school. All of the species you mention would be great tank mates. I'm partial to black neons and pristellas as well. :wink:

Awesome! Glad to hear! :D

I have glolights and lemon tetras and they get along pretty well. My lemons get a bit nippy when they are being fed and with eachother from time to time, but they are still nice fish and no one has battle wounds.

how about rummy nose, cardinals, and bleeding hearts do? i'm assuming fine, but while we're on the subject i may as well ask

IME i've found they only fight or nip between them selves (the group/speiceis.) I have about 15 black widows and 10 cardinals and they get along great, with a huge variety of other fish too. I.E discus, ghost knife(untill he gets bigger), Plecos, Platy's thers even a 3' pictus cat.

The worst tetras for nipping fins are congos by far. Emperors go real well with neons/cardinals IMO. I light the contrast between the red/blue & purple/black stripes.

Back
Top Bottom