Mollies and pleco?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katiegurl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok, so here's my story,
I've recently starting my fw aquarium. i instantly fell in love with mollies. i have 10. a friend of mine has recently surrendered her small pleco to me because she no longer wanted it. i know that mollies like salt in their water but im scared about the pleco! will my mollies be ok with no salt? will it really harm my pleco if there was a little bit of salt? some answers would be greatly appreciated!!

Adding aquarium salt, NaCl, is not necessary for mollies. If you want to mimic brackish conditions which mollies do like, but it's not a necessity, you will have to use marine salts.

So, to answer your question, the mollies will be OK without salt. If you want to add salt to make the water slightly brackish, go about it the right way with marine salts :).

mollies are one of the coolest fish you can keep. They can live and reproduce in fresh water, brackish water, and saltwater... its so neat to see the same fish you have in a tropical tank mixed in with clowns in a full blown reef. And plecos dont do well with salt like any other scaleless fish. What kind of pleco is it?

Back
Top Bottom