Molly eating pond snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allysonwonderland

Aquarium Advice Regular
I would say that at any given time when I looked over at my tank, I could see at least 6 snails. Of course there were more hiding behind/on plants, on the substrate, etc, but there were definitely a lot of visible ones. It's a fairly large tank, 56 gallons, so to me this wasn't an out of control number and I never tried getting rid of them.

After getting one particular molly, the numbers have seemed to decrease. Right now as I look over I only see 2. Again, I know that there are more. But definitely less!

I only suspect him because once I watched him repeatedly ram into a snail to knock it off the glass and I've never observed anyone else even paying attention to them.

Has anyone ever heard of a molly doing this? I mean, I'm not complaining at all, it's pretty nice lol! I thought I would have to start taking action soon.

Actually while it's not too common for other fish to eat snails it can happen. Pond snails have quite soft shells and the molly might have gotten a taste for them or the molly is causing the snails to stay out of the open area's and are still there. Goldfish often eat snails. My larger fancy goldfish would eat any MTS or pond snail that was small enough to fit in their mouth. I've seen other fish knock snails down and try eating them and I've seen my large adult angelfish actually swallow very small MTS and pond snails.

Back
Top Bottom