Most Active Bottom 'Cleaner'?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TripleB67

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What is an excellent 'bottom cleaner' that is pretty active?

(info added) This will be for a 5 gallon aquarium.

Thanks.

TripleB67

Corydoras. My are always chasing each other around and playing with one another. It is so funny to watch!

I have had Corydoras in the past as well and agree they are so fun to watch. They like to be in groups and are quite active. There are many species to chose from.

What is an excellent 'bottom cleaner' that is pretty active?

(info added) This will be for a 5 gallon aquarium.

Thanks.

TripleB67

There are really no bottom feeders for a 5 gallon tank. Even the pygmy corys require larger than 5 gallon. Most corys would require 20.

Corydoras are wonderful fish; very active and fun to watch, but as rotorhead pointed out, they like to be in groups (4-5 minimum). For a 5-gallon tank, you would need to go with pygmy cories (i.e., habrosus)--other cories will be too big for your tank.

Whoops, I guess that I didn't see the 'for 5g' added information! For a 5g with active bottom feeders I would go with shrimp, they're not really at the bottom all of the time, but they are entertaining and fun to watch. Plus they get the scraps of food on the bottom that the fish did not eat!

Whoops, I guess that I didn't see the 'for 5g' added information! For a 5g with active bottom feeders I would go with shrimp, they're not really at the bottom all of the time, but they are entertaining and fun to watch. Plus they get the scraps of food on the bottom that the fish did not eat!

Yea...after seeing the first two responses I realized I probably should have specified that it was for a 5 gallon tank.

I wondered about shrimp...if they did a great job of cleaning up the food at the bottom of the tank and how active they were?

Thanks for everyones input so far!!!

BTW: I've had Corys in the past (Julii I believe) and all they seemed to do was sit on the bottom of the tank all day...were not very active.

TripleB67

Shrimp are great I don't personally have any FW but I do have SW and seen other freshies at the lfs and they are very interesting. Always on the move for the next meal and gives a lil more diversity to the tank

Your limited with a 5 gallon. As stated above, either shrimp OR a mystery snail. Some people say snails are 'too boring' but you might get lucky and pick up an active one. I've had one in my 5 gallon bow front and it never sat still.

Cory's are good but for a school you will need more than a five gallon tank. But you DO NOT NEED a school of them for them to survive. I have two in my tank and they are doing fine

Back
Top Bottom