Moving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jramatized

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was wondering what to do with your fish when you move. what would be a good idea to put them in. Then when u get them to your new place, what do you do about the tank water? Thanks in advance

i just recently moved so i will share what i did...

I put my fish in my small 5 gallon tank and dropped the sponge from my filter in along with some tank water while i cleaned out my 55 gallon. I then completely emptied the big tank and took it to the new house. Of course, i was just moving down the street, so i went and set up my 55 gallon at the new house, i saved the filter media (sponge and biomax) becuase that's where the good bacteria is. I went ahead and got it up and running, i replaced the gravel with new natural looking gravel, so i took some of the old gravel and put it in some panty hose and dropped it in the tank.I also added dechlor/water conditioner to the tank adn went ahead and planted my plants.
I went back to my old house. I then put my fish into a one gallon tea piture, just for the 15 minute ride across town. I also thought about putting them in bags like the fish store does, which might have been a better idea!
To get them used to the water, i actually floated the tea piture in the tank with the handle hanging over the edge. I added about 1/3 cup of water from the aqurium to the piture every 5 minutes for about an hour and then netted them into their new home. I still have all of those fish from the move, alive and well :)
But i kept the old gravel in the tank for a week before i took it out, and i still have the same sponge and biomax in the filter, but i added new carbon of course. I have been testing the water every other day for the past two weeks, and i guess everything went ok, becuase my ammonia and nitrites stayed at zero.
Good luck with your move!

Back
Top Bottom