Moving 55G Outside

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yubikiri

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is a topic that I need a bit of info and opinions on ASAP, since events will be happening tomorrow.

I live in Hawaii, and we are moving to a much smaller home. The wood foundation isn't strong enough to support the weight of the 55G, so it will need to be moved outside. I was wondering what I will need to do to maintain something like this?

I am going to invest in some wooden boards to nail up behind the tank(where the direct sunlight would hit otherwise) or alternately buy a patio awning just to create more shade for the tank. What other ways can I reduce the heat? It gets quite hot here(today it was 92 degrees), and I'm concerned for the safety of my fish. Would floating plants help? An outdoor fan? At the time, a chiller is out of the question due to sudden financial issues.

Inside are a black ghost knife fish, fire eel, and synodontis petricola.(I am aware the ghost and fire eel will grow much larger, but at the moment everyone in that tank is young and small)

You sure you cant get the tank inside? If you're afraid the house cant handle the tank, then I'd be concerned about a refrigerator.....or having more than one person standing in the same room for that matter!

Keeping it outside could end up being a challenge. I'm sure its possible, but there will be a learning curve. For the heat, just moving some air across the water's surface will help cool it off a bit. I use something like this on my tanks in the summer and see a nice drop in temp when I need it:
pHosting.php

I put tanks outside in the summer and the temps got over 100 and the fish did fine. I think a fan on the surface would be beneficial. Also try to find a location that only gets sun in the morning. So the tank can heat up from colder nights but not get too hot in the daytime heat.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Back
Top Bottom