Moving far away

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Knewm32

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have two tanks of African cichlids at my Connecticut apartment. I will be moving soon to Denver Colorado though and would like to be able to keep my fish. What would be the most efficient way to get them there. Also with the best survival odds being the most important.

You could get a bunch of containers/ baggies and put the fish in there then move them. No positive that they all will survive though...

If you are driving you could, use Styrofoam coolers with their tank water, and if and when you stop for the night you could then run air stone/ small filter. I used to know a fish breeder but he lived in a rural part of Ne and on the days he sold fish here he always transported them in coolers. I would keep my fish with me if at all possible.

If you're driving from Connecticut to Denver, the best advice I can give you is to give away or sell the fish and replace them when your arrive in Denver. Denver has lots of fish stores, several are dedicated specifically to African Cichlids. How you going to feel if the fish don't make it? Trying to transport them that far in the heat of summer IMO is not a very good idea and most likely you will regret it.

If you absolutely must take them with you. The advice above is good. If you're go for the packing in plastic bags inside coolers, I wouldn't pack more than one fish per large bag of water. If you opt for the cooler option, I would buy a tranformer so you can plug in a air pump and keep water moving constantly. Regardless of which method you try, you will need to have the fish in an air conditioned situation. Very unlikely they will make it if you try putting them in a moving van or trailer.

Agree with Wy Renegade. In the event that you're dead set on keeping them, call some stores in Denver and see if you can ship them the fish ahead of time and have them hold them for you until you arrive.

It's not hard to do, but you need to plan accordingly. If its not a bunch of large fish you could put them in a rubbermaid ice chest filled with water. You could put a hole in the lid and run an airline tube in for aeration with a battery powered air pump just for good measure.

Alternatively you could bag them with fish bags and stick them in an insulated cooler, assuming it was done well they should be fine for a few days.

I don't see at all how this would be difficult. Put them in a styrofoam chest filled with water from your tank. Run an airdrome in it by using an ac adaptor and use te same ac adaptor to put a heater in the chest. Keep your car air conditioned. And toss some prime in the water. You will be fine.

Thank you everyone for the advice. It seems my best option would be to ship them to a store in Denver and have them hold the fish. Replacing them is not an option as my girlfriend is very attached to them.

Back
Top Bottom