Multiple bettas in a 5.5 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fredenj

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been keeping a blue male betta I named Clyde in a planted 5.5 gallon with a couple shrimp and have had a lot of success, he is quite healthy. If I put a female in there with him, would there be trouble? I am kindof hoping that they do there thing but at least don't want any domestic violence, would 5.5 gallons be enough space for them to feel comfortable?

They will only be ok during "potential" breeding time, anything before or after will probably result in death. Bettas don't form mating type bonds unfortunately, so I highly advise against it.

Nope, they'll fight or if one wants to breed and one dosen't, it will harass the other one to death. So one is the best number to. A 5,5

I would not keep them in that small of a tank... you can keep them together but as far as breeding I wouldn't they are more likely to fight right after breeding. I used to keep my betta with a pleco in a 10gal (Before the pleco got huge). As long as there is hiding spots it should be fine, but honestly 5.5 seems small to me especially since petstores like to create the illusion that they are find in those little bowls and cubes.

The only way to make it work would be to use a divider... Without one, the male will most likely harass and kill the female. But even with a divider, 2.25 gallons per betta is pretty small. They do much better with 5 gallons per betta so they can stretch their fins and explore. Plus bettas are good jumpers, so you'd need the divider to extend at least 2" above the water level. Otherwise they'll find a way into the other's side.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom