My 30 gallon stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrogFrenzy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have a 20 and a 55 gallon tank. My 55 is too stocked for more fish and my 20 is too small for the fish I wanted. I'm planning on getting a 30 gallon tall. I was hoping to get 3 angelfish and a african butterfly. Is there anything else I can get like loaches or barbs or something? And will that stock work in a 30 gallon talk tank?

Angels pretty much always won't get along in a trio. Sometimes, there is an exception, but those are rare. Typically, 2 will pair off or buddy up and harass the 3rd. I do not recommend 3, especially in that size tank. I would stick with 2.
I am not sure about an African butterfly with in this tank with angels. Somebody with more experience with them will have to comment on that. Do keep in mind that African butterfly fish are known jumpers and will jump out of any tank possible. My friend has one that literally jumped out of the tank and landed on her cat. They also will eat any fish they can fit in their mouths.

Angels pretty much always won't get along in a trio. Sometimes, there is an exception, but those are rare. Typically, 2 will pair off or buddy up and harass the 3rd. I do not recommend 3, especially in that size tank. I would stick with 2.
I am not sure about an African butterfly with in this tank with angels. Somebody with more experience with them will have to comment on that. Do keep in mind that African butterfly fish are known jumpers and will jump out of any tank possible. My friend has one that literally jumped out of the tank and landed on her cat. They also will eat any fish they can fit in their mouths.

Ok thanks I'll probably just do a pair of angels. And I know they always jump. I've been doing some research and that's one of the main things I've found. And since they eat anything that fits in their mouth, I'm placing them with something big like angels. As long as the angels don't nip at the butterfly I think it should be fine.

There are not many loaches I would suggest for a 30g tank. Many of them are just too big, and the smaller ones are pricey and hard to find.
Bristlenose plecos are a fun addition to most tanks. They don't hide as much as many plecos do, and they stay small enough to thrive in smaller tanks.
I would not count on angels not nipping at a butterfly fish. Even in my 75g, the angels roam and wonder and are inquisitive about anything in the tank. In a tank that size, you just might not have enough space for 3 fish that get to be decently sized. Again, just conjecture. Hopefully somebody with more butterfly experience offers you an opinion. I had looked into a butterfly for my 75g with the angels awhile back, and I had come to the conclusion that it was a bad idea based on what people with experience with the fish told me. But, your experience might be different.

Back
Top Bottom