My dwarf gourami died :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris22

Aquarium Advice Freak
Don't know what happened, Tested my waters yesterday and all was ok, nitrate was about 10-20ppm so scheduled a pwc for today to knock it down abit but my gf has just phoned me as I'm at work and told me my gourami was on it's side at the bottom of the tank not moving :( only got him on Saturday he looked like he was doing fine all weekend swimming around elegantly as he does and now bam, he's dead! :(

Sorry Chris :(.

When you first stock your tank it's not abnormal to lose a fish or two. When you cycle at a high ppm of ammonia, it gives you the option of stocking your tank with a lot of fish right away, and out of all those fish it's likely you'll have a bad apple or two.

I'm sure it's nothing you did wrong and I know your parameters are perfect. Don't be discouraged at all, you gave him a great home for the time he was with you.

eco23 said:
Sorry Chris :(.

When you first stock your tank it's not abnormal to lose a fish or two. When you cycle at a high ppm of ammonia, it gives you the option of stocking your tank with a lot of fish right away, and out of all those fish it's likely you'll have a bad apple or two.

I'm sure it's nothing you did wrong and I know your parameters are perfect. Don't be discouraged at all, you gave him a great home for the time he was with you.

Yeah I kinda had a feeling I might lose one maybe 2, but I didn't want it to be my gourami :( one thing tho I'm kinda glad he died in my healthy tank and not the one at the pet store which in my opinion was way overstocked. I won't be going to that store again anyway, these lfs's only get one chance with me lol.

ShadoeFox said:
I feel you there, and sorry bout your gourmi. I love mine.

Yeah I was getting attached to my gourami after only a few days, so cool to watch. Hopefully I will have a new one, gonna leave it a week or 2 now tho :(

Yeah I was getting attached to my gourami after only a few days, so cool to watch. Hopefully I will have a new one, gonna leave it a week or 2 now tho :(

Very sorry about your gourami. :(

I also have a dwarf, but it seems I may have got one of the few healthy ones.

Just in the past couple months it seems as though health of DG's has gotten even worse than many people had suspected. People will have them for anywhere from a couple days to a few months then, BAM. They just die for no reason. Such a hit or miss fish. :confused:

adadkins1 said:
Very sorry about your gourami. :(

I also have a dwarf, but it seems I may have got one of the few healthy ones.

Just in the past couple months it seems as though health of DG's has gotten even worse than many people had suspected. People will have them for anywhere from a couple days to a few months then, BAM. They just die for no reason. Such a hit or miss fish. :confused:

I kinda knew it was quite a hit or miss fish with health but still quite annoyed it died :(. Not sure whether to try another dwarf gourami or try another centrepiece fish now. I think the gourami is one of my favourite fish aswell but not sure if i wanna risk one again. :(

If you like Gouramis...I'd say to get another. Last time I checked Severum Mama had some species on her stock list, and you're really not gonna find better quality and healthier fish than from her.

On another note, did your girlfriend get him out of the tank?

eco23 said:
If you like Gouramis...I'd say to get another. Last time I checked Severum Mama had some species on her stock list, and you're really not gonna find better quality and healthier fish than from her.

On another note, did your girlfriend get him out of the tank?

I think I will end up getting another gourami but not from the same store, is severum mama in the uk? Otherwise I don't think it'll be possible. And yeah I made sure my gf got it out of the tank, it was still swimming around this morning when I went to work so I don't think he was dead for that long.

I forgot you were in the UK for a second...I'm pretty sure she only ships to the continental US unfortunately.

Sorry dude, make sure you keep us posted on how things are going. I hope you stick around the site for a long time and help people out with all the great knowledge you've picked up :)

Yeah I kinda had a feeling I might lose one maybe 2, but I didn't want it to be my gourami :( one thing tho I'm kinda glad he died in my healthy tank and not the one at the pet store which in my opinion was way overstocked. I won't be going to that store again anyway, these lfs's only get one chance with me lol.

Sorry to hear that. They are beautiful little fish.

At least you feel bad though, that means you care.

I try to look at it the same when when I lose one. At least his last few days were in a good place and not stressful. I always feel like I'm somehow "saving" the fish when I bring them home.

eco23 said:
I forgot you were in the UK for a second...I'm pretty sure she only ships to the continental US unfortunately.

Sorry dude, make sure you keep us posted on how things are going. I hope you stick around the site for a long time and help people out with all the great knowledge you've picked up :)

Dam :(
Yeah sure will keep u posted I'm doing a water test as I type (which I know is gonna come back spot on but just in case) and you got no worries about me leaving I'm here for the long haul now, there's no getting rid of me lol

Tarkus2112 said:
Sorry to hear that. They are beautiful little fish.

At least you feel bad though, that means you care.

I try to look at it the same when when I lose one. At least his last few days were in a good place and not stressful. I always feel like I'm somehow "saving" the fish when I bring them home.

Yeah I do feel bad, kinda like it's my fault but I know its not, he was only a little guy. I think we need to take over all the pet stores and run them how they should be run. Lol.

Knew my waters were fine, except for the little nitrate like I said,
Ph 7.6
Ammo 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 10-20ppm
Gonna do a pwc to knock that down now.

Anything around 20 is fine...under is ideal of course.

One thing you may want to try (if you haven't already) is drip acclimating. It's usually unnecessary, but I do it with all my fish to ensure the smoothest transition.

As for your Gourami though...it's like you said, he was on his way out one way or the other...and at least he got to spend the end in your tank instead of jammed in with others at the lfs :)

eco23 said:
Anything around 20 is fine...under is ideal of course.

One thing you may want to try (if you haven't already) is drip acclimating. It's usually unnecessary, but I do it with all my fish to ensure the smoothest transition.

As for your Gourami though...it's like you said, he was on his way out one way or the other...and at least he got to spend the end in your tank instead of jammed in with others at the lfs :)

Yeah I think I done the drip acclimating thing,I left all the fish in there bags and placed them in my tank water and then every ten mins added some of my tank water in to there bags for hour, is that what u mean??

Definitely glad he got to live out his final days in peace in my tank tho :)

And these rasboras are great fish I'm glad u mentioned them, I use a hose to fill my tank back up and it creates small bubbles in the tank, the rasboras were having a great time swimming through it lol

Chris22 said:
Yeah I think I done the drip acclimating thing,I left all the fish in there bags and placed them in my tank water and then every ten mins added some of my tank water in to there bags for hour, is that what u mean??

Definitely glad he got to live out his final days in peace in my tank tho :)

And these rasboras are great fish I'm glad u mentioned them, I use a hose to fill my tank back up and it creates small bubbles in the tank, the rasboras were having a great time swimming through it lol

That's not exactly drip acclimating...but it's plenty sufficient and wouldn't be a cause for anything bad happening. Just make sure none of the store water gets into your tank.

When you use a hose to refill...I assume you're using a dechlorinator (if you're on city water)? Normally you'd treat each bucket individually before refilling the tank, but if you're refilling it directly there's a different method. I use a Python for refills, and I first turn off the filter, drain the water I'm removing, add Prime directly to the tank based off the total volume of the aquarium (not just the water I'm replacing), swish it around real good, refill the tank and turn the filter back on. Just make sure you're also temperature matching the water going back in. I've only used Prime this way, I'm not sure if other dechlorinators are as efficient with this method...but I have lots of faith in Prime.

Really sorry to hear about your dg, in agreement that you should go for another, I'm in the uk, and my dg is called "the terrorist", as he's abit of a bruiser, but beautifully coloured by far my fav. Sorry pic is on it's side.

Attachments

• image-3261555240.jpg
    image-3261555240.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 70
eco23 said:
That's not exactly drip acclimating...but it's plenty sufficient and wouldn't be a cause for anything bad happening. Just make sure none of the store water gets into your tank.

When you use a hose to refill...I assume you're using a dechlorinator (if you're on city water)? Normally you'd treat each bucket individually before refilling the tank, but if you're refilling it directly there's a different method. I use a Python for refills, and I first turn off the filter, drain the water I'm removing, add Prime directly to the tank based off the total volume of the aquarium (not just the water I'm replacing), swish it around real good, refill the tank and turn the filter back on. Just make sure you're also temperature matching the water going back in. I've only used Prime this way, I'm not sure if other dechlorinators are as efficient with this method...but I have lots of faith in Prime.

What is drip acclimating? I'll do it that way in the future. And none of the store water got in my tank I ain't falling for that one lol.

And I added the dechlorinator before I added the water I only added about double the amount of what I was replacing tho, should I add more now? And I checked my temp after refilling and it knocked it down by 1 or2 is that bad??

Nomadu571 said:
Really sorry to hear about your dg, in agreement that you should go for another, I'm in the uk, and my dg is called "the terrorist", as he's abit of a bruiser, but beautifully coloured by far my fav. Sorry pic is on it's side.

Your killing me with that pic lol only joking, he looks very cool, I'll upload a pic of mine, my gf named him Harry (no idea why) lol.

Here he is, got a nice pic of him whilst looking thru the hole in the piece of wood I got in there :)

Attachments

• image-3808742292.jpg
    image-3808742292.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 64
Back
Top Bottom