My Penguin 150 died - advice needed urgently!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sibley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm so upset. It's only 9 months old and it quit working.

I need a new one. I was thinking of the Tetra Whisper EX series. (I have a 20gal tank) However, will this mess up my cycled tank? Will I need to put the biofilter from the Penguin in the tank to keep the good bacteria in there?

Suggestions and recommendations needed!

Have you tried removing the magnet from the housing and making sure that there is nothing stopping it from turning? You can also try gently moving the intake tube that is connected to the magnet up and down while the filter is running to see if it will start working.

Yes, you will need to put the biofilter from the filter into the tank to keep the good bacteria there and as a make shift biofilter until you can get a new filter.

I am not a fan of tetra products.

You? Are a genius.

I pulled the intake tube and it started right up.

Thank you so, so much.

Also, you don't need to worry too much about a lack of bacteria if your filter stops working. If your tank has remained unchanged for a while, there should be enough beneficial bacteria in your substrate that your water should maintain it's ammonia/nitrate levels until you get a new filter (relatively quickly of course).

You? Are a genius.

I pulled the intake tube and it started right up.

Thank you so, so much.

LOL, thanks, but no genius here.. I have about 6 penguin filters of various sizes and they can be temperamental at times. :)

Every once in a while, it's good to really clean a HOB filter when you do a water change. Leave the filter media in a bucket of old aquarium water and scrub the heck out of the filter. It's amazing how much gunk builds up. It really improves flow too.

Back
Top Bottom