Mystery Snail! Dead and I'm confused

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mayhariu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have two mystery snails. One of them is a yellow apple mystery snail for I've had for about 6 months but for the past two months it has not come out of its shell. I took him out, poked the bottom of his 'trapdoor' do you call it? And he kept tucking himself in so I'm like, "well he's alive". So I'd leave him be. I'd poke at him like that every couple of days but no movement whatsoever.

Fast forward to today. Same situation in the morning. I come back 5 hours later and I see what appears to be an empty shell and his trapdoor is near the shell separate. I then look around the corner of the tank and see its head/body(seemed like half of him) torn up a little with what appears to be fungus from it being dead. My other fishes we're nibbling at him.

So, I'm completely confused. He's been hibernating or something, but then is suddenly dead and how did he get out of his shell? How did his trapdoor come off? I seriously can't see my fish sucking im out. I have one big orange molly, a medium molly, two cory's, another mystery snail and two red dwarf gournamis (might of spelt that incorrectly). The only semi-violent one is the big boss orange molly but they always ignore the snail.

Thoughts????

I have two mystery snails. One of them is a yellow apple mystery snail for I've had for about 6 months but for the past two months it has not come out of its shell. I took him out, poked the bottom of his 'trapdoor' do you call it? And he kept tucking himself in so I'm like, "well he's alive". So I'd leave him be. I'd poke at him like that every couple of days but no movement whatsoever.

Fast forward to today. Same situation in the morning. I come back 5 hours later and I see what appears to be an empty shell and his trapdoor is near the shell separate. I then look around the corner of the tank and see its head/body(seemed like half of him) torn up a little with what appears to be fungus from it being dead. My other fishes we're nibbling at him.

So, I'm completely confused. He's been hibernating or something, but then is suddenly dead and how did he get out of his shell? How did his trapdoor come off? I seriously can't see my fish sucking im out. I have one big orange molly, a medium molly, two cory's, another mystery snail and two red dwarf gournamis (might of spelt that incorrectly). The only semi-violent one is the big boss orange molly but they always ignore the snail.

Thoughts????
I think that your snail have a long illness,and died from it. The fact that it's body was found out of its shell suggests that after he died, the fish tore part of him out. I would check water parameters and keep an eye on the other snail...

Back
Top Bottom