Mystery Snail diet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xsryman

Aquarium Advice Freak
i bought a black mystery snail along with 2 ottos today to try to clean a brown alge problem developing in my ADF tank. Will this brown alge be enough of a diet for my new friend or will i need to feed it somthing else...?

10 gal - fresh water planted tank

2 - ottos
1 - mystery snail
2 - african dwarf frogs

i bought a black mystery snail along with 2 ottos today to try to clean a brown alge problem developing in my ADF tank. Will this brown alge be enough of a diet for my new friend or will i need to feed it somthing else...?

10 gal - fresh water planted tank

2 - ottos
1 - mystery snail
2 - african dwarf frogs

Both species will enjoy some zucchini. Just remove the skin and seeds and freeze a bunch of pieces for later (thaw it out in tank water before feeding). My Otto's never go for it right away, so give them about a day to start munching on it. The snails will go to town on it as soon as they notice it. I leave mine in for about 2 days, but the Malaysian Trumpet Snail army + the Otto's eat the entire piece before the 3rd day comes along. If you don't have enough snails to eat the entire piece, remove it after 48 hours.

I use a vegetable magnet clip to feed the Otto's and a plant weight (lead ribbon) to hold the snail's chunk down (they are in different tanks). I just tie a piece of fishing line to the lead weight so I can remove it easier or move it next to the snail if he doesn't see it right away.

Back
Top Bottom