native species tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spencelee10

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm just wondering what it would take to run a native species tank. I live in north Texas and we have some cool native fish. I was just wondering what it would take to run a tank with a couple large mouth bass a crappie or two and maybe a channel cat. Just wondering if anyone's done it before and how massive of a tank would b needed

I think you'll need like 400 gallons.

You could probably do crappies and sunfish in a 6 foot tank.

Fish guy is right. Think large cichlids. But an alternative would be to do smaller natives. Madtoms darters minnows... there is a llot of promise with those

Sent from my X10a using Aquarium

Also make sure it is legal to keep there in aquariums. I got a Sunfish with some feeders recently and had to find out. But my Oscar ate him anyway now.

I won't b trying this anytime soon I'm just interested in the options and how the set up would b. It'd b awesome to have my own lake I could watch

I'm planning on doing a 29g one over the summer, put one bream in and a few minnows and stuff and watch my pond from inside my house, then when summers over just dump em back in the pond an take my tank back to college

Sunfish and bass and crappie are actually all cichlids. Think of stuff like blue gill being analogous to larger cichlids like firemouths and terrors. Think of Crappie being like oscars. Think of large mouths as peacock bass or datnoids(can't think of a cichlid that size atm) . They will need HUGE HUGE systems. Preferably ponds.

Sunfish aren't cichlids. They're part of the same order, but different families. Cichlids and Sunfish: A Comparison To confuse things further, peacock bass are cichlids, but black bass like largemouths, smallies, etc., aren't.

Small native would be better. Check out the tanks at your local Bass Pro Shops or Cabelas. You'll see how big crappie, bass, and especially channel cats can get.

Last edited:
Sunfish are cichlids. They're part of the same order, but different families. Cichlids and Sunfish: A Comparison To confuse things further, peacock bass are cichlids, but black bass like largemouths, smallies, etc., aren't.

Small native would be better. Check out the tanks at your local Bass Pro Shops or Cabelas. You'll see how big crappie, bass, and especially channel cats can get.

Yeah, was going to say that. Taxonomy and classification is one of the most confusing areas of biology, at least in my opinion. There are so many levels on the hierarchy, it's crazy. You have Suborders, Subphyla, Superphyla, Subclass, Interclass,Infraorder...you get the picture. Not a fan of learning about taxonomy, but it's pretty much vital for biological studies. Just about all I can remember is KPCOFGS

fishguy1 said:
Large mouth bass are actually sunfish, not bass.

Wrongo, largemouth bass and smallmouth bass are members of the black bass family, which is a suborder of the perch family

Wrongo, largemouth bass and smallmouth bass are members of the black bass family, which is a suborder of the perch family

They can't be part of the black bass family and the perch family. "Black bass" is a genus, Micropterus. ;) Just busting your balls.

Oh, then my guide to north american fish book is wrong.

It's not wrong, they are a species of black bass, which is in the sunfish family.

Largemouth, smallmouth, spotted, and a few other basses are all black bass and part of the sunfish family. Peacock bass are part of the cichlid family, but they're called bass because, when they're small, they have the same body shape as black bass.

This is why scientists don't like common names. They're confusing.

Largemouth, smallmouth, spotted, and a few other basses are all black bass and part of the sunfish family. Peacock bass are part of the cichlid family, but they're called bass because, when they're small, they have the same body shape as black bass.

This is why scientists don't like common names. They're confusing.

Exactly. Some species of plant actually have the same common name and are completely different.

The black basses only make up a very small portion of the basses. The rest are in other families, which are not in the sunfish family.....which is why I originally said what I said.

Back
Top Bottom