Natural spring water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just did a wc and found the water got turned off for a while
I have a bottle of spring water- can I use this to refill the tank? If I can use it do I need to use prime?
This is drinking quality water
Also can I use purified water from a refrigerator in the tank to refill it and if I do do I use prime?
Please reply quickly as I don't want toxins building p since there is a severly injured fish in the tank along with fry

Okay can someone answer my original question of can I use it please because my guppy is injured and the pure water will speed his healing

Dechlorinated tap water and frequent water changes should be sufficient to heal most injuries IMO.

From what I understand, the bottled spring water does not contain the minerals that the fish would benefit from that would be found in your tap water.

Glad your water came back on. (y)

severum mama said:
Dechlorinated tap water and frequent water changes should be sufficient to heal most injuries IMO.

I've been changing 250%-375%(closer to 375%) of the water per week and it's only slightly gotten better

Maybe you're changing too much?

What is it exactly that you're dealing with?

Are you able to match temp when you refill?

Are you also feeding garlic soaked foods or using vita chem to beef up immunity?

LyndaB said:
Maybe you're changing too much?I don't think so because I'm making sure the water is pristine.Why would there be a problem with changing too much water?

What is it exactly that you're dealing with? Rips in the fin three to be exact

Are you able to match temp when you refill?Yes

Are you also feeding garlic soaked foods or using vita chem to beef up immunity?No can't find any[\QUOTE]

Answers in quote

Hi I would move the injured guppy to a tank by itself and keep the water very clean oh and just wondering how was he injured

Many fish get stressed by water changes and so too many water changes could have an adverse affect.

Have you figured out if the fin loss is stress related? Injury? Disease?

I'm no scientist, but I have seen it mentioned in many threads in various forums that you actually can do too many water changes. I can't say why exactly except to say that it creates an inbalance in the water chemistry.

How big is the tank and what percentage of water do you change out at a time and how often? Your 250-375% kinda threw me.

LyndaB said:
Many fish get stressed by water changes and so too many water changes could have an adverse affect.

Have you figured out if the fin loss is stress related? Injury? Disease?

I'm no scientist, but I have seen it mentioned in many threads in various forums that you actually can do too many water changes. I can't say why exactly except to say that it creates an inbalance in the water chemistry.

How big is the tank and what percentage of water do you change out at a time and how often? Your 250-375% kinda threw me.

10 gal tank
One change per day as I am overstocked
So about 35-50 percent

LyndaB said:
what's your stock?

You wont like this but...
9 guppies
3 peppered cories
6 guppy fry
HOWEVER, I am setting up a 90 gallon tank ASAP and rehoming all but one of the fry
I'm getting the tank tommorow I think:)dance:),building stand, buying all supplies, then planting and cycling with seeded media

I think you'll find the fin issue clears up once you're no longer overstocked. Stress can do mean things to a fish.

The purity of it and I'm guessing at that

Just some information for you in regards to purity of bottled water . . .

First of all, that would require that the bottled spring water you are using is actually purer than the water out of your tap, which is actually not likely. In reality, bottled water of all types have lower water quality standards than the water that comes out of your tap. Bottled water as a whole is regulated for quality by the Food and Drug administration, while municiple tap water is regulated by the EPA. Drinking water standards under the EPA are actually much higher than those of the Food and Drug administration. This is not to say the bottled water has poorer water quality or purity, but it certainly can have.

Further, one must actually investigate the source of the "spring water" in question. One of the major water bottling agencies in our area that bottles "natural spring water" takes their water directly from the Denver Municiple tap. Since the source of Denver's drinking water is springs and snowmelt from the Rockies, they are legally allowed to label their bottled water as natural spring water. Great adversiting gimic isn't it?

In actuality, purity of bottled water is one of the great myths of the 20th century, which was created by companies to sell a product, pure and simple. Unfortunately, so many people have bought into it, that not only are we providing these companies with a huge profit (paying a $1.00 or more for 12 ounces of water that cost the company about 1/12 of $.02 plus bottling costs) and creating huge pollution issues in terms of the plastic bottles that are entering our landfills and environment.

And finally, even if the water came directly from a freshwater spring, you have to consider all the source minerals and groundwater contaminants that can potentially be in the water as it comes direct from the source. Put simply, being inside a plastic bottle doesn't make it pure.

Back
Top Bottom