Need a few suggestions please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

logansmomma1228

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, Alejandro (my dwarf puffer) is starting to settle in more now, but he still seems scared when I come up to the tank. Still having a hard time feeding (I have only seen him eat one to two shrimp at a time). I joined a dwarf puffer forum but I haven't had any feedback in the almost week that I have been there. So my questions are:

How much do you think DP's need to eat? I don't want to overfeed him but I don't want to starve him either. He will eat a shrimp or two, and then chase the other ones around but not eat them. Plus when I go to feed him he swims away to the other side of the tank.

( I plan on getting some snails from DKPate next time I get some extra cash, but I would like to make sure he is eating enough in the meantime.)

How long to wait before adding tankmates? I was thinking wait a few weeks then add some otos, but I don't know if they will eat the algae that is starting to form in my tank. I think it is the "New tank syndrome" algae. I was also contemplating getting one more puffer but I don't know about that...

Will the algae hurt him in any way? My water paramaters are perfect and I am starting to see algae growth along the edges of the tank and some of the glass. Can I just let it go so I have food for the otos when I get them or should I get to scrubbin?

Thanks guys, I like this forum more and more each day; I get sooo much help and useful info here I wish I could give the whole thing rep points lol

He won't starve, picture your self being kept in a new glass box and some one throws in a dozen chicken legs at first your gonna grab a few and go hide where you feel safe then after awhile when you realize nothings gonna happen and you get chicken legs every day your gonna chow down. Algae won't hurt him it's just unsightly and as far as adding tank mates I'm probably not the right one to give advice on that.

I personally would put little food in the tank and watch to see if it is eaten before I put in anymore. If he doesn't eat it, don't add anymore. Maybe even scoop the food you just put in out. As for putting the otos in, I read on that forum you showed me about the tankmates for DPs' that Otos only eat algea that is hard to see. The green algea that you see on your tank is too much for them to eat since their so little and their mouths are too weak to get the algea off. How long ago did you put the dwarf puffer in? I would wait about....3 weeks maybe before I put anymore fish in.

Otos like to stay near the bottom so I'm guessing a puffer, being a top/middle fish should do well with a buddy to show them it's okay to come out.

I have had him for about three days now. I really want to get him a buddy but I don't want to have to bury anybody either. I guess if I introduce them while they are young they will probably have a better chance of getting along, or so I hope.

Back
Top Bottom