Need Advice from Honest People

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bs6749

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all, I have a bit of a problem concerning a package that I sent out this week. Here is the story (please read it and give me your honest opinion).

I sold an auction on AquaBid and gave the buyer the total. He overpaid me by $10 so I emailed him and told him that he had overpaid me by $10 and gave him the correct total. Pretty honest thing of me to do right? Well, I ship out this week, 4 packages total, 1 to South Carolina and 3 to Virginia. The guy from SC claims that he doesn't have his package on Wednesday, neither did 2 people that contacted me from VA, the other was unknown. I sent all 4 packages in identical boxes...brown cardboard marked with "Cessna" emblems (blacked out with Sharpie) as I work for a company at an airport. Thursday the man (Roland) still doesn't have his package but the other 2 got their (the other is irrelevant from here on out). Friday, Roland still has no package from me. I told him Thursday that the shrimp would be fine in Breather Bags for up to 10 days. Also told him that I'd reship on Tuesday since Monday is a holiday. Now the interesting part.

Today, Roland contacts me and tells me that he received the package and it was smashed. No water was in the bag and there were 2 dead little shrimp. I ask him for proof in the form of pictures. He send me pictures (this is where it gets good). The box he sent me a picture of was a USPS Priority box, not the one I sent. It had a label in the "To" section clearly addressed to Roland, but NOT IN MY HANDWRITING. I use white paper strips from computer paper and write in black Sharpie the addresses then tape over them. Not only that, but the "FROM" section was torn away, clearly tampered with as if someone had removed a label! As if the package that was damaged wasn't from ME but he was trying to make it MY fault. Also, there was a DELIVERY CONFIRMATION sticker on the box. I didn't pay for this service so why would the USPS add this on to a "damaged box"? Does anyone have a good explaination for any of this? I thought the USPS may have put it in a new box, which would explain the new "TO" label but wouldn't explain why the "FROM" label was missing. Also, what are the chances of that same box being damaged AGAIN!? And WHY would there be DELIVERY CONFIRMATION when I had purchased none to begin with? I'm going to talk to the USPS lady on Tuesday and see what their policies are regarding damaged boxes. Maybe this will help prove that it's a fake. At any rate, how many of you think I should resend the package? Also, should I make him repay the shipping amount if I do resend? Thank you for reading all of this! Much appreciated folks.

It does sound like a scam to get more shrimp. It sounds like he was trying to get freebies from the beginning, then changed his method to smashed box.

Does this person have feedback on aquabid?

Did he provide pics of the shrimp/bags, ect..?

I would be very leery of sending him anything else for now. Contact USPS and check their policy first. Once you find out if what their policy is, advise this person you did not pay for the delivery confirmation, and tell him the box he got was not from you and he must be mistaken. Also not familiar with aquabid but can you contact them and advise them of your concerns with this person?

It sounds like it is a scam to me as well.

I'd let the guy know that the pics were not the box you shipped the package in. I would let him know you are contacting USPS to verify shipping information. Don't go into detail, just leave it at contacting USPS about the damage.

I think you should decide after you talk to USPS. If they don't change boxes at all, then you know it is a scam and you should offer to send the product for the cost of reshipping the item.

I wouldn't rush to judgement. If he is trying to scam you, he isn't going to have the patience to work on resolving this matter over a couple of weeks. Just keep in contact with him every few days. Tell him that you are still working with USPS, etc. If he is legit, then he should be willing to work on getting it resolved.

See if he responds. If he doesn't, you know he was trying to scam you. If he is willing to wait on USPS to "verify information," then there is a chance that he is being honest or he just scams a lot of people.

it is very fishy sounding. lol
i would resend but have him pay for shipping mostly for my own peace of mind just incase. i would also start using the delivery confirmation just for protection and tracking capability.

If does sound like a scam to get more shrimp. It sounds like he was trying to get freebies from the beginning, then changed his method to smashed box.

Does this person have feedback on aquabid?

Did he provide pics of the shrimp/bags, ect..?

He does have feeback on Aquabid and it's "perfect" 16/16 or something low like that. Not sure how many times he was the buyer though. He provided a pic of the bag and what appears to be a dead shrimp though it's not crystal clear. Could easily be decayed plant matter bunched up and shoved in the bag as far as I know. Also, there was only one shrimp shown in the picture. He ordered 5 adults and I sent more like 6 plus 2 small juvies, so 3 extras.

I would be very leery of sending him anything else for now. Contact USPS and check their policy first. Once you find out if what their policy is, advise this person you did not pay for the delivery confirmation, and tell him the box he got was not from you and he must be mistaken. Also not familiar with aquabid but can you contact them and advise them of your concerns with this person?

I completely agree with your point about checking with the USPS first to see what their policies are. There is nothing that Aquabid could do for me really. If he leaves me negative feedback they can't remove it, for the most part, for legal reasons it says on their site. I have no problem sending more shrimp if in fact it was a damaged box but he gives me very little to believe as far as all of the shady areas like no "FROM" tag, the wrong box, DELIVERY CONFIRMATION provided when none was purchased. Even if he was honest and said that he wasn't happy with what he got I may feel like giving a partial refund, but to apparently go out of the way to make me send more...seems like he's taking advantage of my honesty.

It sounds like it is a scam to me as well.

I'd let the guy know that the pics were not the box you shipped the package in. I would let him know you are contacting USPS to verify shipping information. Don't go into detail, just leave it at contacting USPS about the damage.

I think you should decide after you talk to USPS. If they don't change boxes at all, then you know it is a scam and you should offer to send the product for the cost of reshipping the item.

I wouldn't rush to judgement. If he is trying to scam you, he isn't going to have the patience to work on resolving this matter over a couple of weeks. Just keep in contact with him every few days. Tell him that you are still working with USPS, etc. If he is legit, then he should be willing to work on getting it resolved.

See if he responds. If he doesn't, you know he was trying to scam you. If he is willing to wait on USPS to "verify information," then there is a chance that he is being honest or he just scams a lot of people.

I did let him know that the pics weren't of the box that I sent. You bring up a good point about him not having the patience to resolve the matter if it is a scam. I thought about resending for free but now I think that I should make him pay full price for shipping. That's what most people on Aquabid do anyway.

it is very fishy sounding. lol
i would resend but have him pay for shipping mostly for my own peace of mind just incase. i would also start using the delivery confirmation just for protection and tracking capability.

I may have to start using delievery confirmation because of dishonest folks out there. Sad but true :(

In the event you DO re-send him anything, take a picture of the box before you seal it (i.e. the inside contents of the box, with a clear picture of the shrimp in the bag), take a picture of the outside of the box, and then send it via priority mail WITH delivery confirmation. At the very least, that will prevent him from making any claims a second time.

Heck, you might even consider sending it with "signature confirmation" (not sure if that is the right terminology or not), i.e. delivery where the post office will not simply leave it in a mailbox, but will require an actual person to sign for the package. That protects you both against claims against package loss as well as claims against package damage, as no person in their right mind would sign for a package of shrimp if the box had been completely destroyed.

Well, after a "stern" email from me to the buyer he writes back saying that he "didn't look at the address and that it must be someone else that sent them but he thought it was me because we talked about them so much." I emailed back asking if he got the red cherry shrimp I sent him LOL. WOW, this is gonna get better...........

When shipping the packages, simply use a Insurance on them.. you can get up to 50 dollars insured from the usps for like 2 bucks. Just add it and confermation to your shipping total. Thats why it say "shipping & HANDLING" This way your protected, he gets his money back to get more and it wont be at your expence =P

What a mess, Bryan! Sounds like it is going to get more interesting....I totally agree with JohnPaul, I would take pictures of anything else I send so you can have proof yourself if this ever happens again.

When shipping the packages, simply use a Insurance on them.. you can get up to 50 dollars insured from the usps for like 2 bucks. Just add it and confermation to your shipping total. Thats why it say "shipping & HANDLING" This way your protected, he gets his money back to get more and it wont be at your expence =P

I would get insurance on them but it adds up with all of the packages I send and the contents really aren't that "valuable" KWIM? I sent out 5 packages last week, 4 Monday and 1 Wednesday. If I had insured each of them I'd be looking at $10 or more. That's not "bad" but considering that it'd cost me $6 to resend the package it's not really worth it when I can simply send a few more shrimp. Get my point? If they were expensive shrimp like blue tigers, crystal reds, etc. I'd definitely be putting tracking/delivery confirmation/insurance on them since there'd easily be $100+ worth of goods.

What a mess, Bryan! Sounds like it is going to get more interesting....I totally agree with JohnPaul, I would take pictures of anything else I send so you can have proof yourself if this ever happens again.

I still have my receipt and I believe it should show that I didn't pay for delievery confirmation. A picture of that would suffice in this instance I think. I know what you two are saying and I definitely agree with that. I don't think he's going to be trying to pull any more stunts but we'll see.

If you sent the box USPS Priority Mail, it will indeed have "Delivery Confirmation" added at no cost, and without you requesting it. A little greenish sticker will appear on the box.

If you sent the box USPS Priority Mail, it will indeed have "Delivery Confirmation" added at no cost, and without you requesting it. A little greenish sticker will appear on the box.

I think you are talking about the "Flat-Rate Box", which is not what I used. Plus, the sticker in the picture was white, not that it matters much. Also, they always ask me if I want tracking/delivery confirmation for each box.

I just checked the Post Office website...if you print your own postage at home, then delivery confirmation is included for free with any priority mail package. If you mail from the post office, Delivery Confirmation costs an extra $0.65. Signature Confirmation costs $1.80 if you print your own postage, or $2.20 if you buy it at the post office.

US Post Office Delivery Confirmation Rates
US Post Office Signature Confirmation Rates

I suggest replying that he obviously didn't receive the package you sent and then refund his money instead of shipping him more shrimp. This way you make HIM appear to be right and you don't lose any more shrimp on him. There's nothing he can complain about if you give him back his money. And then just don't do business with him anymore. I believe this to be the least stressful way of dealing with the situation.

The problem isnt that he is trying to keep the guy happy. the guy tried to con them into thinking a box was the box the shrimp were sent in. which in deed it wasnt. He got the shrimp, he wants more. What better way than to send them pics of one swimming on the bottom "dead" and get more?

The problem isnt that he is trying to keep the guy happy. the guy tried to con them into thinking a box was the box the shrimp were sent in. which in deed it wasnt. He got the shrimp, he wants more. What better way than to send them pics of one swimming on the bottom "dead" and get more?

The point of my suggestion WASN'T trying to keep the scammer happy. It was to keep Bryan from losing/wasting any more shrimp on this guy.

I've got hundreds of shrimp, with several hundred more on the way. I'm in no short supply that's for sure and they are red cherry shrimp, not something that's "valuable". I'm not going to refund any money. The most I'd be willing to do would be to resend him shrimp at the cost of shipping at this point.

Back
Top Bottom