need an opinion...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Titus

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
this link-
http://oddballfish.com/fishdetail.mv?1125073289+glram_reg

the picture here looks identical to what i purchased in my lfs. I bought two, at 1.99 didnt figure i could go wrong. They are deffinately Gold Rams, but my lfs says that they are Angel Rams. I told her that she was on crack, but she showed me the shipping invoice.

The opinion... Is there such a thing as an Angel Ram or is she on crack?

welll she showed you the invoice and thats what they go by, i wouldn't say she was "on crack" i would just say that she was uneducated and was just going by what she was told. They ordered it as an "Angel Ram". I don't know what it is but maybe like the raibow shark and red finned shark, thats just two different names for the same thing.

Different stores call fish different names. It's kind of like some stores call the common pleco the Trinidad pleco. Its the same fish, just different names. The breeder that she uses may call them Angel Rams.

I ordered some marbled hatchet from my lfs once. They were clearly not marbled, but that is what they came in as. And what I was charged for. :evil:
My male blue ram seems to be the long fin variety, I didn't know about the "angel ram" name though.

Fishyfanatic said:
After searching for Angel Rams, it appears that there is indeed a hybrid Angel Ram. The angel ram is actually a long fined ram. I don't know if it is actually what you have though.

http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Cichlid, Rams.htm

Yes, but the long-finned rams, no matter what they are called, are not that hybrid....just a long-finned variety.

Toirtis- I read on a website that there is a hyrbid of the angel and ram. They called it an Angel Ram. I don't think it's the same one that I linked to. Is this even possible?

ok well the fish i have are gold rams, they are just 3/4" long though... kinda odd. Will borrow a camera and post a pic. Those long fins are hideous.

common names are just that. All types of fish are commonly known by different names at various locations. Just because this dealer labelled their fish with a different common name doesn't mean they are "on crack." It is just a common name. Now, if they were trying to give your ram a totally different scientific name, then that is another story. But that isn't the case.

I had this same discussion a while back. One of the not so local stores in my area were selling angel/ram hybrids as well. I posted about them on here and was told it's not possible but it seems odd that the impossible are popping up more. I didn't bother to do much research since I wasn't interested in purchasing them but, the only other place I did see them talked about was a ram forum. :?: Good luck with your new fish.

Fluff said:
I had this same discussion a while back. One of the not so local stores in my area were selling angel/ram hybrids as well. I posted about them on here and was told it's not possible but it seems odd that the impossible are popping up more.

I have seen photos of what are claimed to be these hybrids...and they really should not be possible, based on current taxonomy, but it is possible that taxonomic revisions may be necessary if these turn out to be valid hybrids. Even so, I would imagine that they would need to be artificially produced, as mating a mature female angel and a mature male M. ramirezi would probably be non-feasable.

ok, "on crack" might have been a bit harsh... Got the camera will post tomorrow night. Gonna put three of what ever they are then in the 50.

Back
Top Bottom