Need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foch29

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I don't know what to do right now. I have a 15 gallons tank. I want to plant it with some green and some red plants. After the fishless cycling I will add some guppys and some shrimp.
First problem: I have read on a random site that the fertilized substrate or the liquid fertilizer for the plants are poisonous for the shrimps... I don't think it's true but I wanna be sure. Could I grow plants in only inert substrate like sand? 2 problem: I have read that when I do the water change I should siphon the bottom of the tank to remove fish waste. I would like to use some black sand on the top with a fertilized substrate for plants under it. When I use the siphon wouldn't it suck both sand and the substrate mixing it in an orrible to texture and exposing the substrate?

Easiest way and cheapest way to "fix" these problems would be to use a black sand such as Black Diamond Blasting Sand (or any other black - aquarium specific sand... but more $$ than blasting sand).

Rinse it really well, and you are set.

Plants will grow very well in an inert substrate. Fertilize the water column with a simple all in one fertilier such as thrive (use thrive S for shrimp) and you are set.

I'll attach a picture of a tank using inert substrate and water column dosing only. No need for a nutrient rich substrate unless you are doing a walstad "style" tank.

8T8CyOq.jpg

Easiest way and cheapest way to "fix" these problems would be to use a black sand such as Black Diamond Blasting Sand (or any other black - aquarium specific sand... but more $$ than blasting sand).

Plants will grow very well in an inert substrate. Fertilize the water column with a simple all in one fertilier such as thrive (use thrive S for shrimp) and you are set.

I'll attach a picture of a tank using inert substrate and water column dosing only. No need for a nutrient rich substrate unless you are doing a walstad "style" tank.

8T8CyOq.jpg

I don't use ferts ect my fish seam to make my plants grow sufficiently enough and never hand issues. I don't like using co2 or ferts but each to there own 1533835710584.jpeg

8T8CyOq.jpg

Beautiful tank

Back
Top Bottom