Need info on african butterfly fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
pixelcatt said:
They arent really demanding as far as space goes. Theyre pretty solitary. Theyll pick a favorite corner and rarely stray from it. I think everyone was concerned about space because the regular gourami would all reach 6". Theyd get along fine with more space. But a new tank is always fun. If after you get your butterfly you have any questions feel free to ask me. Gluck and enjoy.

Is 11.99 a good price? And will 1x 4" pink kissing gourami 2x 2" pink kissing gourami and 1x 3" blue three spot gouramis bother it? The only one I have ever seem aggression in is in the big pink one but I read that the butterflies are aggressive themselves what's your insight?

Ive ready the butterflies can be aggressive but ive never really seen it. Hes pretty passive as far as sharing personal space. My dwarf gourami will ear or explore right up against him and innocently bump and brush him and he doesnt care. He does get a little pushy when the dumb dumb mollies try to snatch the blood worms he knows were dropped infront of him specificly for him. But the mosr he does Is a sideways shove. He doesnt nip anyone. He does stalk the fry I have In a breeder box though and I have to watch to make sure he doesnt tip It when Im doing pwc. Theyre not dumb fish.

I know kissing gourami can be nippy. The only issue with having a butterfly with gourami is that gourami are middle to top swimmers as well. Since the butterflies dont move much they may leave him alone. Theres no way to know ahead of time. The big one you described might simply be the dominant gourami in the tank. That doesnt mean he'll kill anyone. Just means he'll be more territorial and bully the others. I know my dwarfs dont have an interest in any other species but ive heard stories that others do. You just have to use your best discresion.

That price is fair. I only paid a dollar less for mine.

BTW: sorry it took me so long to respond. I use rhe phone app and my phone was out of commission for a couple of days.

pixelcatt said:
BTW: sorry it took me so long to respond. I use rhe phone app and my phone was out of commission for a couple of days.

I got him along with five rummynose tetras and moved all but one blue one out... And my twelve inch pleco tank is do beautiful and he stalks and kills crickets eats most of the body to!!!

Lol mine snatches them from my fingers and chomps them down completely. How big is yours already? Mine is full vrown so he can swallow most small crickets whole. They have personality though which is always nice.

Yeah. Wow he is tiny. The store where i got mine had three and they were all 4-5". I'm curious to see how fast he grows.

pixelcatt said:
Yeah. Wow he is tiny. The store where i got mine had three and they were all 4-5". I'm curious to see how fast he grows.

Well mAybr closer to 3 cuz I'm bad at gestimating

Back
Top Bottom