Need info on african butterfly fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes... Common plecos are poop machines as well as fast growers. What does poop do? Turns to ammonia. What does ammonia do? Poison your fish when in excess.

MABJ said:
Yes... Common plecos are poop machines as well as fast growers. What does poop do? Turns to ammonia. What does ammonia do? Poison your fish when in excess.

Ever since I have had that tank I have had a pleco never had ammonia problems! And also my black skirt tetra is very passive and small I have had him for a while! My question is! WILL A AFRICAN BUTTERFLY FISH FOR IN THAT TANK? Please I would just like an answer without being analyzed and criticized please

You refuse to take advice.

Why don't you understand current sizes don't matter, it's the size that fish grow out to that matters.

No more fish will fit into your aquarium while a common pleco is in there.

Sorry.

You come on here and ask to be analyzed -- so you will be.

I'm not the only one who thinks like this.

So. You want to have an answer? It's a resounding no.

Fix your current issues before incurring more.

Good luck.
Mark

MABJ said:
You refuse to take advice.

Why don't you understand current sizes don't matter, it's the size that fish grow out to that matters.

No more fish will fit into your aquarium while a common pleco is in there.

Sorry.

You come on here and ask to be analyzed -- so you will be.

I'm not the only one who thinks like this.

So. You want to have an answer? It's a resounding no.

Fix your current issues before incurring more.

Good luck.
Mark

I know people keep small common plecos in 10 and 20 gallon.... ten gallon are pretty rodiculous

Although a three inch pleco will not get large for a while and I know! Are fine right now
And I know adding a common pleco does not sease your stocking!! And the 11 inch pleco I know I a little big for the thirty gallon but it's the biggest saltwater tank I have/ know of and I like ZUES I have had him since he was just over an inch he is my favorite fish and is very important to me!

TenaciousTriggerFish said:
I know people keep small common plecos in 10 and 20 gallon.... ten gallon are pretty rodiculous

Although a three inch pleco will not get large for a while and I know! Are fine right now
And I know adding a common pleco does not sease your stocking!! And the 11 inch pleco I know I a little big for the thirty gallon but it's the biggest saltwater tank I have/ know of and I like ZUES I have had him since he was just over an inch he is my favorite fish and is very important to me!

My pleco is important to me and he only gets 8inchs, I went on Craigslist and got him a 75g for 150$. Have you considered this. Then you could add that awesome fish to an ideal home!:)

All - please keep the thread on topic. Posts involving personal attacks or obvious violations of ethical fishkeeping will be deleted. If the thread continues to be flamed, it will need to be closed.

TenaciousTriggerFish said:
No money ;''(

I've been in that situation.

Is there a chance someone could adopt the larger fish for a period? Till you either have the funds to get the larger tank or find a deal to swap something for a tank etc?

Scouser said:
I've been in that situation.

Is there a chance someone could adopt the larger fish for a period? Till you either have the funds to get the larger tank or find a deal to swap something for a tank etc?

All my fish friends do SW :/

I feared as much, is there not a LFS that you could give it to?

Maybe for a period of time or for keeps?

I just think it'll do wonders for your tank if it's rehomed :)

Scouser said:
I feared as much, is there not a LFS that you could give it to?

Maybe for a period of time or for keeps?

I just think it'll do wonders for your tank if it's rehomed :)

I'm sorry no and I refuse to give it to petco, petsmart, or any of those! For personal reasons he means to much to me! :)

Ok so to sum up it would be a bad idea to get a butterfly until you have room in your tank. This is the advice you asked for and the advice you have received :)

leggey said:
Ok so to sum up it would be a bad idea to get a butterfly until you have room in your tank. This is the advice you asked for and the advice you have received :)

Thank u and by room in your tank do u mean without ZUES the pleco and my gourams it would or would not be suitable?

I know this thread is a month old but i wanted to comment. 1- big chain petstores will not take surrendered fish if they were bought elsewhere. 2- i have an african butterfly in a 30g with dwarf gourami. I ahvent found the butterfly to be aggressive. Hes gotten a little frustrated and pushy when food is snatched from infront of him though but nothing nippy. So far hes been easy to keep. Hell eat almost anything floating on the surface. He doesnt care for pellets though. He ate a few then stopped. He loves his small crickets to be hand fed and he loves blood worms. He will eat flake food but requires too much food to be satisfied by a few mouthfuls of flakes. Mine doesnt really have competition for the surface so hes pretty content. Even when other fish spend time at the surface and even regularly bump him (mollies are.rather dumb like that) hes unphased. The dgs leave him be and all get along. Hes also in with blue and gold rams. He will eat any babies though.

Hes my husbands favorite cause he likes to see him eat. Mine has been friendly from the start and even more so since his introduction to crickets. He will let me touch him if i want (i dont really reccomend you try. I did it once cause of the temptation he might let me) and he is active during the day coming to the front for feeding when i open the lid. Its an awesome fish.

Tada I got a fifty gallon long tank!!! Imma get tid of the gouramis and I'm gritting about 40+ tetras :gradually: and u still am planning on getting an african butterfly fish now that I have proper tank :D

Attachments

• image-4062838532.jpg
    image-4062838532.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 43
They arent really demanding as far as space goes. Theyre pretty solitary. Theyll pick a favorite corner and rarely stray from it. I think everyone was concerned about space because the regular gourami would all reach 6". Theyd get along fine with more space. But a new tank is always fun. If after you get your butterfly you have any questions feel free to ask me. Gluck and enjoy.

ADDITION: that pleco is definitely too big for a 30gal. Good idea moving him. Ive stayed away from typical plecos for that reason. If you set up the smaller tank again stick to bristle nose and clown plecos. They only reach 4-5".

Back
Top Bottom