Needing a good defense... Help me with this arguement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HOLLIEO

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay, so I really, really, really want my turtle/goldfish tank in my kitchen. I just aquired this tank from a friend on sunday, because he didn't want it anymore (and wasn't taking care if it either. We (my hubby and I) picked up the tank and stuff and set it up in the garage. It had to be really cleaned (it was really let go) and this was a good place to start. Anyway, I want to put it in the house so I can actually enjoy the animals!!!
It is a 50 gallon (like 4' long) , but only have it like a little more than half filled, so the turtle can get out of the water and there is enough water for the goldfish.
My husband says no! I can't moe it to the kitchen, because (these are his really lame reasons):
1. It will smell (it doesn't now, that i have a filter running... duh!)
2. There isn't enough a room ( yeah, whatever.. there is a huge blank wall for it and not in the way either)
3. Not sure how old the tank is and it may break and leak all over the place (the silicone on the tank is not brittle, no cracks and no major scratches.... but it is like maybe 3 or more years old and was housed outside for like a year)

SO, help me!!! I need to persuade him here. I have to win this issue!!! :lol: What can I say to convince him, especially when it comes to the tank leaking.

I say NO WAY to having a turtle in my kitchen. They pass Salmonella very easily and could infect your family. His reasoning may be off, but he is right. NO TURTLES IN THE KITCHEN!!!!!

Wait!! You are supossed to be helping me... not him!! ha, ha
Well, it isn't really the kitchen. It is more like the dining room, off of the kitchen.
People have their fishtanks in the dining rooms, so why not a turtle/goldfish tank?
It's not like your gonna stick your hands in it and then sit down and eat... I mean you would always wash your hands before you eat... right? :roll:
How does Salmonella pass on to family, if they don't have their hand in the tank?

stresco said:
I say NO WAY to having a turtle in my kitchen. They pass Salmonella very easily and could infect your family. His reasoning may be off, but he is right. NO TURTLES IN THE KITCHEN!!!!!

Agreed!! It was only a few short years ago that these types of turtles where actually banned from import for that very reason.

I would also advise caution if you have children that could possibley handle the turtle. Please make sure they wash their hands (and you) with a good anti-bacterial soap after handling.

Also just FYI, the turtle will most probabley munch on the goldfish if it can catch it. 8O

Cheers
Steve

Lets say you, or somebody handles the turtle. Without thinking, you lean on the counter or the back of one of the chairs. The bacteria can live for several hours on there, and if your kids touch that spot and then put their hands in their mouths, rub thier eyes, or pick their nose (Mine never do that :wink: ) , they are infected. You now get to spend the rest of the night in the bathroom with them, if you are lucky. If not, you are spending the next few days in the hospital with a saline drip to rehydrate you. And your husband is at home stuffing the turtle down the garbage disposal.

The kids are not allowed to play with it... they are too little. It is a water turtle, so he isn't really out of the tank much. The goldfish have lived with him for a year or more. It's funny, because one is bigger than him and they kinda play together....
I would be able to enjoy wathcing them much more if they were in the house :lol:
C'mon... besides the salmonela thing, what about the tank holding water thing? How old can a tank be before the seals start to fail (the silicone)?

ha, ha, ha,.... Sorry,but that was funny Stresco!! I just know that my husband wouldn't think twice before trying to stuff him down the disposal.... ha, ha
I could just totally picture it! :lol:
Okya, so If I didn't have the turtle in it... then your saying it would be cool to have in the dining room/kitchen????

Is it just you and the Hubby? If just responsible adults, I'd be fine with it. If you have kids, better to be safe than sorry.

Insofar as the leaking goes, it should be fine. Silicone seals last a long time.
(the silicone on the tank is not brittle, no cracks and no major scratches.... but it is like maybe 3 or more years old and was housed outside for like a year)

Hmm.. outside, dunnow what effect that may have had.

I haven't really helped you much, have I?

Wait a second, my wife wins every decorating "discussion", you should be able to do it too!

I dont see why not. The only thing that i would be concerned with is the fact that it was kept outside for a year. Sudden fluctuations in temp and humidity will definatly damage silicone. So I would be a little leary about the possibility of having 50gal of water in my kitchen. Get a wet\dry shop vac, just in case.

No turtle = no danger of disease, I'd go for it!

If you carefully inspected the silicone, I wouldn't worry too much.

I dont want to be rude, but turtles in a kitchen sounds nasty and dirty. I would steer clear of them there

You guys are soooooooooooooooooooooooo funny!!!
Weather it was helpful or not... it sure was a great discussion... very funny!
Yes. There are 3 kids, corvuscorax, and even if it were just the adults... We are definitely not considered 'Responsible' ha, ha.... just kidding.
I guess I have totally lost this argument. :( ...
but just for the record.... I too win all the decorating ideas.... ha, ha
Oh, and the turtle is a red ear slider about 4.5"-5", the gold fish are 6" (not including tail) and 3, 3" (including tail). They all get along... funny!

I say no to the turtle and yes to the tank in the kitchen. 50 gallons of water leaking in the kitchen is no better/worse than 50 gallons in the living room. I personally have a tank in my kitchen, though only a 10-gal, and pretty soon there will be one in about every room in the house, at the rate I am going!

No go for the kitchen. I caught salmonella from my turtle, and believe me, you don't want it! I was on the hopper every hour with extreme intestinal pain for 10 days.

Okay, so no turtle in the kitchen.......
BUT..... as soon as this turtle is no longer living (which I heard could be YEARS!!).. the tank is going in the kitchen!! ha, ha..
or find another large tank instead.. :lol:

BUT..... as soon as this turtle is no longer living (which I heard could be YEARS!!)..

could you see if your LFS would take him in trade? or even just take him off your hands for free?
Or have you become attached to him? :p

Okay you guys!!!!
Check this out..... I WON!!! :lol: YEAH!!!
I now have my 50 gallon turtle/goldfish tank in the house!!!
It isn't really in the kitchen persay, it is situated under a bar that seperates the kitchen and the dining room. I am gonna have to take a picture and post, just so you can see what I am talking about. ha, ha, ha, ha
So persuasive.. :mrgreen:
*** Oh and by the way... Just wondering, but why or how does a turtle get salmonella? Does any one know? I know it is an 'Aquarium' Chat, but I can not find anyone as helpful and informative as everyone at this site.
Thanks for all the help!!

Just be sure and wash your hands after handling the turtle and the tank contents, and you should be fine. Salmonela does not float in the air! (I don't know exactly why they have it, or how they get it)

Back
Top Bottom