New 45 Gallon Aquarium.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grant R

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, over the weekend, I got my new 45 gallon aquarium and all the bits that came with it ( Filter, Heater, AirStone / Pump , Decor etc ) . I'e decided to delay the growing of live plants for a while longer, until I buy a completely new tank.

I had real, real difficulty in getting the filter working in the new tank, so I think I will just buy a new one at the moment. I had to run a filter that was filtering my 11.1 gallon, so I need to upgrade it asap.

Tank now houses :

Three ClownLoaches
One Pleco
One Gold Gourami
One Pearl Gourami
One Platy
One Red Tail Shark
Three Guppies.

Very cool Grant. Now remember, your new tank is going to have to cycle, so test your levels diligently. Don't add any more fish untill you are certain the cycle is complete.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewforum.php?f=8

Reference crazyb's announcement at the above link, as it's an excellent primer for the nitrogen cycle.

Using your previous filter along with the new one will help get your good bacteria established faster, but it will still have to cycle.

What kind of new filter did you get that's giving you trouble?

Grant,

Did the tank come with the substrate? Was the substrate wet and kept between 70-80F durring the move?

If so then you should still have a good bactera bed in the 45. If you want to give you cycle a BOOST and can spair a few cups of substrate from your existing 10 gal tank move a few cups of substrate over into the 45. This will also give your bactera population a jumpstart.

I have done this for years with my freshwater tanks and the net result is a very small/short cycle.

The substrate and filter were both kept in the water and kept at pretty much the correct temprature. The fish are currently all transferred, but as you say, I'll be keeping an eye on the levels.

As for the filter, it's a smart & complex one - more so for me as the filter in my 11.1 gallon is very basic. This is the one currently running in 45 as we speak.

I brought the tank & bits from SomethingFishy, so he will hopefully post some more details as to what it is.
I'm guessing an undergravel filter wouldn't go a miss now either, now that I have a quarantine tank for temporary storage.

Congrats Grant. I know you been itching to get a larger tank for awile. Hey, How bout a few pics of the new thank, eh? Have fun!

Yep, there will definitely soon be some pictures up. I know for definite that I have got a digital camera on the way for xmas, so everyone will be seeing some regular picture updates. :D

Back
Top Bottom