New filter ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DepotFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got an elite stingray filter for a ten gallon.I got the medium filter, which says its for up to five gallon tanks, because I didn't want it to be real strong. Its too strong, my poor goldfish has to swim constantly so she doesn't sick to it, so I turned it off. I read somewhere you can put nylon over the filter to keep fish from being sucked into it. Does the nylon also make it weaker? Will anything make it weaker? Also, how well do undergravel filters work if at all?

The nylon will make the filter slow down. I am not farmiliar with that particular filter, but is the flow rate adjustable? Try raising the water level in the tank to the output of the filter. It will reduce surface aggitation.

Undergravels are basically a thing of the past. They are not as efficient and become nitrate factories. The amount of gunk that gets pulled out from those things is gross. I'd pass on a ugf and stick with a hob or canister.

Those stingray filters move a fair bit of water, but have next to no media in them....were I you, I would return it and get a better filter....like an aquaclear, which has lots of media and an adjustable flow rate.

I just put this filter into a 5 gallon Eclipse hex tank with a betta. I disconnected the Eclipse filter because it was too strong for the betta, and now this Stingray appears just as strong. I did wonder if I'd be right back in the same boat with this Stingray as far as being too strong. So tomorrow I think I'll be hooking up a sponge filter for the betta.

DepotFish, I haven't found a flow adjustment on this filter. There is a knob on the top that you can turn to regulate the direction that the water comes out of the filter. I have mine turned toward the back wall of the aquarium - the same wall that the filter is on - I just have the flow pointed right behind the filter. I wasn't impressed with the media either. I removed the carbon cartridges and cut a piece of sponge for each side. But I still think I'll end up taking the filter out anyway, due to the water movement being too much for the betta.

I was thinking of getting a new filter to help completely outnumber nitrates and keep my tank water in superb condition.

Also i'd like one with an adjustable nossle. This would help me position plants where i want them, last time the water coming out of the nossle slowly broke up my plant and made a mess.

Will there be any problems if i do get a more powerful, bigger filter?

Satsumas - It's not a good idea to hijack another member's thread. I would suggest going forward to start your own.

In the meantime, the only suggestion I can come up with for you is a canister (ie: fluval 104), which allows adjusting output.

I am confused about the "outnumber the nitrates" portion of your question. Filter media with enough surface area for bacterial growth is the method of bio-filtration for nitrate control (along with PWC's).

An undergravel filter is certainly NOT "a thing of the past." They work as well now as they ever did, which is pretty well. They keep the gravel full of beneficial bacteria and keep oxygenated water flowing past the bacteria very well.

I have had them running in two of my tanks at home since May without any problems at all. They work great.

What I mean mvigor is that canisters or hob's are more advanced than the standard ugf. They are easier to maintain and less messy.

I too would skip the UGF. It's really a waste trap IMO and a HOB or canister will work so much better. :)

The problem with using an UGF is that the tank needs to be torn down about once a year so that all of the gunk can be removed from underneath the plates. They are also completely inappropriate for planted tanks because the roots will get underneath the plates as well.

Thanks for the advice everybody. I think I will bring the stingray back and try to find a filter with an adjustable flow rate. We don't have any fish specialty stores in the area so its harder to find the brands suggested. One of the reasons I got the stingray was because I thought the little knob was for adjusting the strength or something like that, not just moving where the water comes out.

DepotFish said:
One of the reasons I got the stingray was because I thought the little knob was for adjusting the strength or something like that, not just moving where the water comes out.

That's what I thought too, and I thought it would be good for a betta if you could turn the force of the flow down. But you can't. It's not a bad little filter. Once it settled down it was very quiet. The course sponge caught a bunch of debris already. The biological media wasn't adequate, though - maybe for one betta, but not for a community tank or a goldfish. I did take my Stingray out of the tank tonight and replaced it with a sponge filter.

Back
Top Bottom