New Here, Questions, Concerns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TMFQ

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am new to here. Been around tanks my entire life.None as big as my current tank. I have a 55 Gallon tank with 2 Jewels,Parrot, Dempsey, and an oscar. I am not sure what in the heak is going on. Tanks been golden until I started using a gravel vac. I now have red algae on my filter. Now calcium build up from what i am assuming is due to hard water. This algae thing is puzzling to me not sure what to do. I do weekly water changes. Idk if I am removing too much water or what and I am I have had my fish for sometime and they're not growing at all. The Jewels Seem to be the only ones growing. Forgive me I am new here and kinda worried sorry if I should use the search function.

Thank You

TM

Welcome to AA nice looking tank those fish get big I remember as a kid having a Oscar and a Dempsey my Oscar got to around 18 inch before I had to re-home him as he couldn't turn around in the 55g tank

Last edited:
With that stock its definitely not that your changing too much water. More likely not enough. Oscar needs a 75 by him self. The GIH will build up quickly as will nitrates.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

With that stock its definitely not that your changing too much water. More likely not enough. Oscar needs a 75 by him self. The GIH will build up quickly as will nitrates.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I plan on getting a 120 eventually once I move. Can you educate me as to what GIH means ? I Am just baffled as to what the red algae slick is. I am going to move this to the proper forum or can someone else ?

I plan on getting a 120 eventually once I move. Can you educate me as to what GIH means ? I Am just baffled as to what the red algae slick is. I am going to move this to the proper forum or can someone else ?

GIH Growth Inhibiting Hormones. Do a search on it. There is a ton of info out there.

Back
Top Bottom