New Here! What are some good additions to my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Iceman15

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got my first tank of my life (55gallon) a few weeks ago and have since overhauled the gravel and accessories to give it a really nice natural look. I have also sold some fish because I was pretty sure it was overstocked when I bought it according to things I have read here on this forum. I just sold 2 big blood parrots so I would like to add some smaller fish if I have room.

Here is my current fish:

- Bala shark (biggest in the tank)
- Red tailed shark
- Electric blue balloon ram
- Gold balloon angel ram
- Marble lyretail molly
- Black lyretail molly
- Albino angelfish
- black spotted angelfish
- Pleco

So do I have room to add a few more fish and what would be a good addition? I have been looking at the swordtails that are orange and black as they look pretty good. Do they do well with other fish?

I really like the red tailed sharks but from what I have read they like to be the only one in the tank, is that correct?

Thanks in advance for the help! And thanks for all of the information and help I have read here while owning my tank.

Iceman15 said:
I got my first tank of my life (55gallon) a few weeks ago and have since overhauled the gravel and accessories to give it a really nice natural look. I have also sold some fish because I was pretty sure it was overstocked when I bought it according to things I have read here on this forum. I just sold 2 big blood parrots so I would like to add some smaller fish if I have room.

Here is my current fish:

- Bala shark (biggest in the tank)
- Red tailed shark
- Gold balloon angel ram
- Marble lyretail molly
- Black lyretail molly
- Albino angelfish
- Pleco

So do I have room to add a few more fish and what would be a good addition? I have been looking at the swordtails that are orange and black as they look pretty good. Do they do well with other fish?

I really like the red tailed sharks but from what I have read they like to be the only one in the tank, is that correct?

Thanks in advance for the help! And thanks for all of the information and help I have read here while owning my tank.

Congratulations on getting your first tank! Ive had 10 gallons now and again but i just got a 55 gallon a few weeks ago and i love it!!

I believe the bala shark is going to outgrow your aquarium.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+888+1177&pcatid=1177

They can get to 16 inches long and a 55 gallon aquarium is only 13 inches deep (front to back). He will probably have trouble maneuvering once he reaches full grown.

And yes- Red tailed sharks like to be alone. I am thinking about getting one for my tank!

I'm not sure if you can add more fish, but be patient, someone else will chime in.

+1^ on the bala shark

1) I'm concerned about the pleco as well as it sounds as if it is a common pleco meaning it can reach 18"+ very quickly

2) yes, ONLY 1 red tailed shark per tank, he/she will soon become quite dominant

3) some good options would be schoolers such as some type of tetra/barb/rasbora but yes, the swordtails would be fine also if you would like them

4) also, it seems as you have added a lot of things/removed some in a short time period, so I'd say wait at least 2 weeks or so for things to settle down before adding any livestock:)

good luck:)

-1 on the bala shark. Those guys need a minimum of a 90 gallon tank in my opinion. They get very large and can get aggressive. And the pleco can grow up to 2ft long they should be in a 125 gallon minimum.

All your others are fine except those two.keep an eye on the red tail if he gets aggressive

I was wondering about the bala. There were actually 2 in the tank when I bought it so I sold one already. He is about 3" long so does he have time to stay for a while or is it best to get a new home soon? And what is a good asking price to sell it for?

Wherever I went online for every tank I would always read "get a pleco" or "a pleco is a must." is there a certain type of pleco that is small enough for a 55 gallon? I'm not sure what type of pleco he is since he came with the tank but googling common pleco I think he looks pretty much like that. I would estimate him at 4 maybe 5 inches? Hard to tell because he always hangs out in a log. Does he need to go as well and be replaced by a different pleco or a different bottom feeder?

Learning a bunch already thanks guys.

Anyone else have suggestions on new fish along with the help? I'm looking kinda in the colorful or exotic range.

Lose that last Bala ASAP or you may well have a dead fish on your hands. They require schools of five or more, get huge and, in a tank that size, might soon end up freaking out and bashing himself to death on the glass. Plus, it is not good to mix a RTBS with any other type of "shark" as they don't really like any fish shaped like themselves including other RTBS.

Is this tank cycled?

I agree the shark must go perhaps you can return him from where you got him for store credit or exchange for other fish?
Also the common pleco as well
You can go with a bristlenose pleco, pitbull, clown pleco & a few others
But before adding anyother fish please make sure your tank is cycled
You can add more mollies or schooling fish but nothing too small sooner or later those angles will start munching on smaller fish

Yes the tank was cycled after I did all of the gravel and decoration changes. The shark came with the tank (I bought it used) so there is no giving it back to the store :)

Bala is going to be picked up tomorrow by the same person who took my 2 blood parrots.

With the shark out of the equation, and lets say if I wanted to stay with mollies, swordtails, tetra, barbs, and other fish of that size. What would be a nice safe maximum of fish to add in that stay consistent with that size?

Is it best to keep them all at this same size, or is it ok to add a bigger main fish to the mix?

I will wait a week or so per the person aboves advice since yes, there has been stock changes since I bought it overstocked and have been fixing the problem gradually.

Thanks for the help so far, are there any other cool fish suggestions to add? I am looking at the local pet store and then doing research online as to weather they are good community fish but it is always good to get feedback from those who have experience with them as well!

I'd say drop the barbs cuz they can get nippy.go with a pair of Bolivian rams instead

There is only one pet store around here and they do not have bolivian rams :( I may make a trip to a larger store 50 miles away and bring a large bucket though if they have some very exciting fish.

On the topic of rams. The gold one seems to swim at and bump the blue one. Is this because the blue one is shiny or is this being playful? Should I add one more of each ram or would that just increase the problem?

So i have been searching online for fish i may like to add and am thinking of a couple more mollies and 2 sunset platties. This would bring the stock list to the ones below. Would this max out the tank or is there still room for more?

- Red tailed shark
- Gold balloon angel ram
- Marble lyretail molly
- Black lyretail molly
- golden panda lyretail molly
- creamcicle lyretail molly
- 2 sunset wag platties
- Albino angelfish
- Pleco (once i find a better one for the tank)

I am also thinking of picking up another tank and doing a cichlid setup. I have seen the bumblebee ones at the LPS and a cool looking puffer. Do those get along and if I wanted to stock the smaller cichlids about how many could fit in a 55gallon? only a few?

I'd say go with dwarf cichlids! I love my Bolivians, but keyholes, Kribensis, German blue rams, apistogrammas (several good species) are all also awesome! Puffers are not really good to mix with anything and some species require brackish water, like the green spotted puffer, which is what your lps probably had

Back
Top Bottom