New lighting for 5 gallon tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

An t-iasg

Aquarium Advice Addict
Currently I have two 5 gallon tanks, arranged in an L-shape, with a regular 15 watt aquarium bulb going diagonally over both tanks. I would like to change to this light for each tank:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=11382&N=2004+113345

There are two bulbs in this fixture. I would just like to use one bulb to have 1.8 watts per gallon. Is it ok to run this little fixture with only one bulb? If so, which one do I get - the mini Aqualight for the 10000K daylight bulb (I would remove the actinic one) OR the mini-freshwater Aqualight, and remove one of the 6700K bulbs (leaving another 6700K bulb)? I do have a glass canopy. Since the bulbs are both 9 watts, is it a matter of preference for the color temperature? The 10000K will appear a bit bluer and the 6700K will be a little whiter in comparison, right?

I think you'll need all 18w over 5g for the higher light plants you've listed. I perceive 6700K and 10000K as you expect to, but know others see 10000K as white and 6700K as yellow-ish.

Thanks, czcz! The plants I got about a month ago are doing ok -- but not great. The bacopa melted right away into a slime and the Echinodorus angustifolius is now in a critter keeper until I can get it back to the hatchery. It won't do well in the light I have. (It's doing fairly well under a bright lamp!) Its roots are getting quite big in the critter keeper and I think it's too big for my tank, so I'll return it. Some of my dwarf sags in the tank are turning yellow. Overall I'm happy with my first large-scale planting attempt but in order to learn more about the plants and continue with them, the lighting I have needs to be upgraded. It was fine for the few small crypts I had for awhile but to keep anything else, I need to upgrade the lights.

with smaller tanks, the wpg 'rule' breaks. basically there's a minimum amount of wattage needed to grow higher light plants, and 3wpg over a 5gal, or 15watts, just isn't sufficient.

With smaller tanks you really have to play around to see what you can do. I have a 5gal with a 10watt all-glass 10000k screw in power compact, and I've never seen my anubias bartari v. nana grow better.
Once a week I dose 1mL of Flourish and a half cap of Excel.

Thanks, Malkore...is the 5 gallon you're talking about an Eclipse hex? I have one of those also (empty at the moment) but it was easy to grow plants in that tank. The tanks that I want to get better lighting for are the two 5.5 gallon All-Glass tanks on my kitchen counter. I have a pic in my gallery. The picture is old but the placement of the tanks on the counter is the same.

Back
Top Bottom