Nitrite/Nitrate confusion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LittleNami

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, its late at night and although I have done some net browsing, I can't seem to figure out something between nitrite and nitrate. Some help here would be greatly appreciated ^^

Now, I know nitrite is the bad amount of the two, NO3 correct? But is this supposed to form in an older tank more so than a younger tank?

Nitrate is supposed to be the one that is good for plants and such, NO2, right? Somewhere around the road I heard that Nitrite converts to Nitrate in time. Is this true? I guess I am just confused with the two altogether and a little help would be soooo welcome right about now, seeing as how I am dealing with live plants in my setup right now ^^

if you click on articles, at the top of the page and scrol ldown to the nitrogen cycle for freshwater, there is an awesome article on the whole process

NO2 is Nitrite and NO3 is Nitrate. Plants will use both. Will also use ammonia as well. Ammonia and Nitrite are very bad for fish, and Nitrate is bad in a larger quantity. That's the reasoning for PWC's, is to keep the nitrate down. As for new tanks, a new tank needs to cycle, which means to build up the proper bacteria to remove ammonia, then nitrite. Nitrate is the end product, which you should only see in a mature tank, not ammonia or nitrite.

The process is this:
ammonia->nitrite->nitrate

Oooooh, ok, that makes more sense after reading the article and lwb's nice simple visual aid ^^ Thank you for the clear up!

Edit: That also explains that little biofilter thing at the end of my regular filter and why it hasn't developed any color, my tank is only a bit over 2 months old :roll:

You mean the biowheel? If it's a biowheel, it will be a few months before it really starts looking dirty. But don't clean it. It's a good dirty thing. :)

Back
Top Bottom